Close of the Preparing for a New Satellite session

Close of the Preparing for a New Satellite session

de Bernadette Connell -
Número de respuestas: 4

We are at the close of the Preparing for a New Satellite session.  We had participation from across the globe – yes this is a global issue!  We focused on the geostationary imager and had a brief look at lists, tables, graphs, and the information they portray.  How do we interest the forecaster, particularly for a topic that is not the top news of the day?  We relate it to something they are familiar with (current channels), and perhaps we can portray that information in a different manner - the example graphs.

In the spirit of other CALMET sessions, I tried a few new things in term of gathering information (the padlet) and display (prezi) and I enjoyed it.  I hope you continue to be adventurous  too!  I took a sneak peek at the session topics for next week and see that one of the themes is radiation.  I know I will be checking that out.

Although we are at the close of the session, feel free to answer the surveys or provide you opinion if you have not so.  I will check in on it every once in a while ;)

Bernie

En respuesta a Bernadette Connell

Re: Close of the Preparing for a New Satellite session

de Vesa Nietosvaara -

Bernie,

big thanks for making available all the new satellite preparation topics and discussions!

One topic, that I can only now comment (been out of office for a week), is the data access and visualization.

We at EUMETSAT User services use pretty much McIDAS-V software. Nowadays also a McVCast is available for displaying the Meteosat HRIT data. If you need to i.e. prepare a case study from archived data, you can register to EUMETSAT Earth Observation portal at http://eoportal.eumetsat.int/ and subscribe to services to order data and products. With McV you can visualise the data in multiple ways and combine it with NWP and observations.

We are glad to help you further, if you are wish to learn more.

En respuesta a Bernadette Connell

de Larissa Timofeyeva -

Dear Bernie

I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and demonstrating technical approaches (I am not used to some of them yet). And the entire idea - how to become prepared for the future  satellite - seems to be really fantastic. For hydrologists this kind of issue has never occured, since we don't use much satellite data in operational practice. Mostly  researchers use it. 

My "experience" has only allowed me to be a humble observer and reader, but even this was quite useful for me. We have missed preparation for SentInel-1, we must catch Sentinel #  ) 

Best wishes

Larissa

En respuesta a Larissa Timofeyeva

de Wilfried Jacobs -

Dear colleagues,

I think that a close link should be done with EUMeTrain because there is a high experiences in arranging such events and excellent material available. We are just thinking how to consider also material of new satellite generations (e.g., Metosat, 3rd generation). Material in form of simulations will be available rather soon.

Thank you for considering,

Wilfried.

En respuesta a Wilfried Jacobs

de Ivan Smiljanic -

Dear Wilfried,

Thank you for spreading a word about Eumetrain activities, think that the project will bring nice insight into next generation of satellites and their possibilities. As a member of a project I'm glad about the level of awareness we have towards future and I hope the broader community shares the same feeling. Thus I would prompt already individuals or teams to contact us in case they have ideas/projects to share with us. We are producing learning materials frequently and would be good to gather as much as possible before the next big launch! So thank you in advance.

Ivan