Week 3: Teaching Resources for Conceptual Models

Week 3: Teaching Resources for Conceptual Models

por Bruce Muller -
Número de respostas: 21

Hi folks, 

Our final activities for this session are to share resources for teaching with conceptual models and to identify resources that are not currently available or well developed.

For sharing resources we have - what else could it be - a Padlet Wall! Wow, that has turned out to be a really awesome tool for sharing content. I was so impressed with it that I contacted the developers to let them know how this community has been using the tool. One function that I asked about is the ability to comment on a posting. And they agreed that it would be a great addition so they'll be adding it soon. How cool is that? In any case, if you have good examples of conceptual models (websites, diagrams, animations, lesson plans, etc) that you want to share with the group, please post them to our Padlet Wall. And maybe post a note to this forum to let folks know that your resource is on the Wall.

Do you have an idea for a conceptual model diagram that would enhance a training objective? Lets generate a list of high priority diagrams, animations, or 3-D models that are not readily available. Here at COMET, we're always looking for good ideas to incorporate into our lessons and we'll look for opportunities to develop them as part of a funded project.

Cheers and have a great week!
Bruce and Marianne

Em resposta a 'Bruce Muller'

Re: Week 3: Teaching Resources for Conceptual Models

por Marianne Weingroff -

Greetings! This is my first CALMET 2014 posting, and I'm happy to meet you all! I'm an instructional designer at COMET and work on lots of satellite projects. I've also worked on many projects with EUMETSAT - from developing modules to helping to run the ASMET (African Satellite Met. Education and Training) project. 

I'm running this week's session, and encourage you to share conceptual models that you find helpful - either models that you've created or that you've found on the web. Please add them to the Padlet Wall (http://padlet.com/mullerb/conceptstories), or describe and link to them here in the forum.

Also list any models that you would like to see developed. We'll keep the list and hope that COMET or another group can develop them in the future.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's resources!
Marianne

Marianne Weingroff, COMET Instructional Designer

Em resposta a 'Marianne Weingroff'

por Marianne Weingroff -

Bryan Guarente of COMET is busy posting conceptual models that he's developed for his modules, so check them out!

por Bryan Guarente -

Marianne and others,

What a great exercise for a Monday!  This was good to get back into the swing of things and there is SO much more on MetEd to work with.  I tried to cover Jet streaks, Jet Coupling, Deformation Zones, Fronts (Cold, Warm, Occluded), Cyclogenesis (a little), and Conveyor Belts.  All of these things are near and dear to my concepts of the atmosphere that I had to share them.  I use these conceptual models almost daily when analyzing water vapour imagery, so I figured others would get good use out of them if they haven't already seen them or if they are teaching classes like we do.  

I intend to populate this further, but came to a stopping point today.  Will keep the list going.  Again, thanks for the great exercise and the opportunity to make a nice collection of the conceptual models out there.  Hope all of you out there enjoy this as well and can help build this collection.

Bryan Guarente

por Izolda Marcinonienė -

Hello All,

I am mainly the user (not creator) of conc. models (CMs). I'd like to thank all of you who added CMs material on padlet. It is so useful and evident explanation of  atmospheric physical parameters using animation.

Will this http://padlet.com/mullerb/conceptstories be left for longer time or we need to save addresses of theese different CMs?

We have in Lithuania a few special cases which have been observed close to the Baltic sea. It happens during the spring or autumn when big difference in temperature between the water and approaching air mass appears and 1)we have prolonged fog in spring ( all Lithuania is in sunny warm air except of narrow cold foggy seashore). 2)very heavy rain or even dangerous snow only in the same coast region , meanwhile the rest part of Lithuania is glad about good air conditions.Looks like comma on satellite image 3)dangerous freezing rain on the big lagoon coast when cold and strong eastern wind blows from the water for long time-then the eastern part of trees, houses etc. are under thick ice cover.

Unfortunatelly, our Service is too small and doesn't have a research devision and nobody could precisely analize these events and make scientific conclusions...So this training helps us a lot to know more from collegues.Thanks!

Tsvet, I wonder if there is a possibility to save your animation?

Izolda

Em resposta a 'Izolda Marcinonienė'

por Ian Bell -

Hi All,

I have some models to share and am looking forward to seeing yours but am currently in Morocco in the Atlas Mountains and on my way to the Sahara so it will have to wait a week or two.

Cheers

Ian

por Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -

Izolda,

Let me know which animations you need and I can try to upload them here.  I won't be able to upload all of them of course.

Just let me know,

Tsvet

Em resposta a 'Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov'

por Izolda Marcinonienė -

Hello, Tsvet,

it would be very useful to get animation: Thunderstorm in motion(slide No.41 on padlet), Mature stage of thunderstorm (42), Cold front (47), Warm front (57). And if you have time,of course:slides 10, 55 Air parcel.

Izolda

Hi Izolda,

Attached is a folder with the animation files.  Let me know if I grabbed all you wanted.

Cheers,

Tsvet

Hi all,

I posted several conceptual models to the Padlet Wall.  Padlet does not want to display Flash swf files so you won't be able to see the previews.  But click on the note and then click on the purple "Source" button in the lower right corner.  Then you will be able to see the animations.

Cheers,

Tsvet

Em resposta a 'Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov'

por Vesa Nietosvaara -

Hi, all,

I added couple of conceptual model schematics  into your wonderful Padlet ..First set is from SATMANU project I worked in a few years ago. Another set is is from our southern hemispheric project we had last year. Argentina and Australia colleagues may wish to add some nice schematics from that source, too...

por Marianne Weingroff -

The padlet is growing, with new conceptual models added each day. I've organized them into topics.

When adding a new resource, please drag it to the right category - or to the "Other" category at the bottom. Also, enter the URL for the resource - so we can find it outside of the padlet. 

Someone asked what will happen to the resources after CALMET is over. The padlet will remain available to all who are registered, so you can access it at any time.

I'll also export the resources to an excel file, and keep the list here at COMET. Please email me at marianne@ucar.edu if you'd like a copy.

Thanks!
Marianne

Hi all,

I posted a few more conceptual models to the wall.  A quick reminder that you can re-use COMET's graphics and animations in your training efforts.  We only ask that you do not use them for commercial purposes and keep the COMET credit on the graphics.

Cheers,

Tsvet

por Patrick Parrish -

Hi all,

I just posted a timely conceptual model about Lake Effect Snow to the padlet. NY is getting hammered right now with multiple feet of snow due to this effect. I placed it in the convective section. 

I guess that during my stay at COMET I was involved in the development of more than 100 different illustrations and animations of conceptual models. I can't imagine teaching meteorology without them. We often dismiss learning objectives that begin "Understand the processes...", but in reality, this is the beginning of any good forecast decision making, so developing understanding at the level of being able to describe or draw a conceptual model is critical. And not at all easy, or deserving of begin low in the "Bloom's Taxonomy of Learning Objectives". People need more to be able to do the job, but understanding is a critical start.

I started by looking for conceptual models about marine wave processes, and found a lot of clever animations and some stills also, but nearly all of them required some prerequisite knowledge--like the simple fact that waves slow down in shallower water, which also required some mathematics to explain, at least to some degree. Conceptual models can be really complex, and it often takes several depictions, presented in a well designed sequence, to really get across a complex concept or physical principle. (Particularly for a 4D model)

One additional thing worth sharing in this excellent CALMet session--mental models are a more general category than conceptual models, and they also include behavioural scripts (or just "scripts"), which are models for how to behave in certain situations or in the presence of certain phenomena. This is another type of mental model that forecasters need to learn--when they see signatures of an underlying conceptual model, what actions should they take? What data do they analyze, in what sequence, using which tools, to help them make forecast decisions? How rapidly do they need to act? Where do they focus their attention?

Patrick

Em resposta a 'Patrick Parrish'

por Paulina Hellgren -

Perfect Patrick! This CM is very up-to-date right now as you describe.

I am responsible for the final course at the Universities in Uppsala and Stockholm here in Sweden. That course is the first practical course for the students. Right now I am struggling with how to change it to be even more practical in 2015. Then this theme with Conceptual Models is so right in time. Thanks to you guys out there, I have come up with a lot of new ideas and approaches allready.

Thanks a lot to you all - this week is great!

Best wishes,

Paulina Larsson
SMHI, Sweden

Em resposta a 'Patrick Parrish'

por Marines Campos -

Hello everybody, thanks to all for this super session, I will have to submerge into it later on, but motivated by Lara's note on the paddlet, I just want to share a bit of the hard work that has been going on in the Southern Hemisphere. We have been guided  through the process of developing local conceptual models  and now I know all that there is behind these schematics, and how they are consistent with the representation of parameter fields on satellite images and crossections.

Marinés

por Asteria Handayani -

Hi all,

what a pool of resources there....

it's great to learn about conceptual model from the forum and the padlet as well.

thank you..

cheers,

Tya

Em resposta a 'Asteria Handayani'

por Jonah Kazora -

am happy for this style of Elearning course it helped me to learn more things from my calmet members 

thax

Jonah

por Larisa Nikitina -

Dear Bryan, Tsvet, Vesa and all!

Thanks a lot for sharing these great CMs with us; it is so exciting and extremely useful collection! I hope it will be increasing every day and soon become a real CM library in the WMO Global Campus!

I wish I can put some CMs for Russian region but they all in Russian language and unfortunaly I have no time now to make translations, sorry! Maybe a little bit later, ok?

I have added to padlet another look of lake-snow effect CM, not so creative as Patrick`s one but for me as the old forecaster it is very interesting and useful. Maybe it is an old school, but so we are! :)

And I want to add some fun to this collection. I will not put this to padlet, only attach here, maybe anybody will find them interesting?

1 pdf - My favorite painter and forecaster Phil Chadwick has his painted CM of CB, hope you will enjoy it! (adding some more example for interdisciplinary work)

2 pdf - In early 90th when I was training meteorology for some russian amateur pilots of superlight aircrafts, I made this CM of convection.  More then 20 years ago, my first PC, my first experience in drawing on PC, my first teaching experience. Funny, not? :)

Lara

Em resposta a 'Larisa Nikitina'

por Marianne Weingroff -

Hello again! We're nearing the end of week 3 of the Conceptual Models session, and I want to thank all of you who participated and posted CMs to the Padlet. We've compiled a nice list that covers many areas in meteorology.

I've converted the entries to a spreadsheet that's accessible from the Moodle site.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you use them. You can also send more entries (description and URL) or ideas for CMs that you would like to see developed. We'll keep the list here at COMET and hopefully find ways to produce them in future projects.

It's a pleasure to be part of such a great community!
Marianne Weingroff