Preparation of "student lab" - IMPORTANT

Preparation of "student lab" - IMPORTANT

от Jochen Kerkmann -
Количество ответов: 14

Dear All,

if you look at the summer school agenda, you can see that we have included a "Student Lab" on Monday 18 June. This will allow you to work on your own cases, and to discuss your results with the other participants.

For this Lab, you need to select an interesting case (from your country if you like) that you would like to investigate with McIDAS-V.  The case should be from the last 1 or 2 years so that you can download MSG, AVHRR, MODIS or VIIRS data. It can be a convective case, or any other feature (smoke, dust, vegetation, fire, front, hurricane etc.) that you would like to study in detail.

When you know the date and time of the case, you should download data of the case.  For MSG SEVIRI data, first try to download a single time slot (e.g. 12:00 UTC image) before you eventually download a sequence of images. You have to consider that one SEVIRI image (all channels, full disk) is about 100 MB size.  AVHRR images are smaller, about 50 MB I think, and MODIS images at 1 km resolution are slightly larger (about 150 MB for a daytime image, all channels).

The instructions (PDF files) for ordering data are given in the "Labs and Lectures" section of the course web page - 4 different PDF files written by Djordje Gencic who will be your tutor during the summer school.

As the Internet speed in the Hotel in Bracciano is not the best one, it is recommended that you download the data of your case before you come to the summer school (please, put the data on a USB stick). During the course, we will show how to read and display the data by setting up so-called local ADDE servers for the data.

If you have questions, please reply to this "News" by clicking reply on the web page.

Thank you and good luck!

Jochen + Djordje

В ответ на Jochen Kerkmann

Re: Preparation of "student lab" - IMPORTANT

от Djordje Gencic -

Dear all,

Jochen, thanks for the introduction, I would like to say hello from my side, as well!

As Jochen mentioned, one important thing to do prior to arrival is to pick an interesting case and download the data for it. This can be done easily by following the instruction documents available on the course web page.

If something is not working by the manuals, I encourage you to contact me either here or via private message feature on this forum, so that I can help you.

See you in Bracciano!

Djordje 

В ответ на Djordje Gencic

от Jochen Kerkmann -

Dear All,

nobody has replied so far as regards the student lab.  Could you please inform us if you have selected a case to study and downloaded some data (SEVIRI, AVHRR, MODIS ...)??

It would be good if you could bring the data with you to Bracciano, for example on a USB stick.  Internet in Bracciano may be slow, and downloading of data not so easy.

Thanks, Grazie, a presto,

Jochen

от Sevdalin Geshev -

Hi, Jochen,

I downloaded data for my case, but the files format is gdr and i can't open with McIDAS-V

Best regards

Sevdalin

от Sema CIL -

Dear Jochen,

I download the data for my case from (SEVIRI, AVHRR, MODIS and VIIRS) but i haven't tried to open the files with McIDAS yet. Should I try?

Thanks for reminding us.

Sema.

В ответ на Sema CIL

от Djordje Gencic -

Dear Sema,

I will take the opportunity to answer your question.One of the course's main goals is to learn how to manipulate with satellite data with McIDAS, so I would leave that to do for the time when the student lab comes.

On the other hand, If you want, you can anyway check if the data is appropriate.

The point is that it is already enough that you have your data on the stick/computer (if you bring one) when you come to the course.

cheers

Djordje

от Ondřej Nedělčev -

Dear Jochen,

I have downloaded SEVIRI and AVHRR data for my case.

Best regards,

Ondřej

от Gintautas Stankunavicius -

Hi, Jochen,

Concerning student lab exercises - I decided to pick few 2017 summer extreme (on national scale) weather events (very abundant rainfall with urban flash flood and very uneven spatial prec. distribution);

For one event I already downloaded SEVIRI data

For another - trying to download CLASS data, however process seems to be very slow

Kind regards

Gintautas

от Hatice Canan GUNGOR -
В ответ на Hatice Canan GUNGOR

от Djordje Gencic -

Dear Hatice,

What seems to be the problem? Which file, satellite?

Djordje

В ответ на Djordje Gencic

от Hatice Canan GUNGOR -

DEAR JOCHEN

network error

I have tried 2 days ago and yesterdAAY 

NOAA'S Class ...it is failured

unfornatelly I cant download before coming