The first challenge

Re: The first challenge

por Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -
Número de respostas: 0

Jose,
Thank you for your patience!  Here is my feedback about the second question.

The analysis objective and question are more difficult to create.  You have done a good job at avoiding unintended clues in the answer options.   The stem presents a definite problem but will need to be revised as the current question operates on the level of comprehension rather than analysis.  The learning objective also needs to be edited in order to reflect a task on the level of analysis.  As I was preparing my feedback, I realized that the task that you selected for this question has a challenging aspect, so it is very understandable that the objective and questions need some work.

It seems that you would like your learners to choose the right satellite channel that will enable them to identify the presence of a cloud and determine its thickness.  (I hope that this is correct, otherwise you will find the discussion below only marginally useful.)  This objective has elements of comprehension and application.  So a performance-oriented objective would read something like this:

Choose the satellite channel best suited for identifying the presence of a cloud and determining its thickness.

This objective has three tasks: “select the channel,” “identify the presence of a cloud,” and “determine the thickness.”  The first task operates on the level of comprehension, the last two on the level of application.  Identifying the cloud and determining its thickness require the learner to use their knowledge about satellite images to accomplish these tasks.

When thinking about an analysis level objective, we come up against the challenging aspect of the task you selected.  Identifying the presence of the cloud and determining its thickness is one information point that by itself cannot be used to make a forecast decision.  It needs to be combined with other information like the cloud top temperature, in order to determine the potential for precipitation or aviation icing, for example.  (Not being a meteorologist, I consulted with my COMET colleagues about this, so please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.)

Because of this aspect, a learning objective for analysis based on a real-world task will also reach to the levels of synthesis and perhaps evaluation.  Here is one possible version of a learning objective:

Analyze satellite products from the thermal, solar, and near infrared channels and estimate the probability of ice forming on aircraft.

The task is to analyze three satellite products and combine the information gleaned from them into an estimate of the probability of icing if an aircraft flew through the cloud.

Here is one possible question:

Review the three satellite products and answer the question below. (Here we’ll show thermal, solar, and near infrared images or animation loops.)

An aircraft is running out of fuel and needs to land at an airport with heavy cloud cover.  The airport tower has called your office and would like to know, what is the probability that ice may form on the aircraft as it descends through the cloud?

a. high probability, because the cloud top height is …. the approximate thickness is …. and the clouds contain particles in … phase.

b. high probability, because the cloud top height is …. the approximate thickness is …. but the clouds contain particles in … phase.

c. low probability, because the cloud top height is …. the approximate thickness is …. but the cloud contain particles in … phase.

d. low probability, because the cloud top height is …. the approximate thickness is …. and the clouds contain particles in … phase.

Naturally, the wording of the options may need to be adjusted to match the information available in the satellite products.  We’ll need to avoid unintended clues as well.

Please let me know if I have understood your objectives correctly.  Do the suggestions make sense?  If others are monitoring this discussion thread, do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

Tsvet