Next CALMet session: The Competency Assessment Process

Next CALMet session: The Competency Assessment Process

por Bruce Muller -
Número de respostas: 1
Hello CALMet'eers!

What does it mean to conduct a competency assessment and why is it even important?  How do we conduct any sort of assessment in an effective manner? Maybe you are new to competency assessment and find yourself asking some of these questions.  Or maybe you have already had much experience yourself in conducting such assessments.  Either way, the session on "The Competency Assessment Process", led by Natalie Werbitski, is designed for learners from all ends of the spectrum.

Starting October 22nd and continuing through to November 2nd, those two weeks will be spent looking at various aspects of the competency assessment process such as: the value of conducting a competency assessment in the first place; tools and techniques for an effective assessment process; and the selection and training of competency assessors. 

A live presentation is scheduled for October 23rd at 14:30Z and you can register for the webinar here:

We also hope to engage participants to share their own experiences and thoughts regarding comeptency assessment through topics to be posted on the Competency Assessment discussion forum.  We hope that you are able to join us!

Em resposta à Bruce Muller

Re: Next CALMet session: The Competency Assessment Process

por Natalie Werbitski -

Thanks Bruce for the introduction to this session.

I wanted to introduce myself and include a little more detail about regarding this session.  My name is Natalie Werbitski and I'm an operational forecaster for the Meteorological Service of Canada, working at the Canadian Aviation Meteorological Centre.  Over the past year and a half I have been heavily involved with implementation of the WMO/ICAO Aeronautical Meteorological Forecaster competency assessment project here in Canada.

The goal of this session is to look generally at a competency-based approach to assessment of meteorological skills and knowledge.  Drawing from my own experience, most of my examples during the presentation will be based upon our implementation of the WMO/ICAO AMF competency assessment project here at the MSC.  Bear in mind though, the same competency assessment principles that we've applied to our project here are certainly transferable to competency assessment in general.  My hope that by the end of the session you might have a greater appreciation for the benefits of a competency-based assessment process.  

I hope that you are able to join us in this session and I look forward to sharing with you all.
~Natalie