Rounding up the simulator session

Re: Rounding up the simulator session

par Mark Higgins,
Nombre de réponses : 0

Looking back over the posts I see some threads around how people learn, and how can a simulator help someone learn. I shall try and summaries some of the themes. The original posts will stay in the form and I do recommend taking some time to look back over some of the ideas we have covered. 

In a simulator we can learn about an idea or concept, learn a skill, and learn procedures. The skill can include learning to work in a team, make decisions and issue warnings.The idea of fidelity came up and to me it became clear that we can use as little fidelity as we need for the exercise. If we ware working on a particular concept we can strip away complexity to make it easier for our students to learn that concept without having to worry about how a display system works (for example). We add fidelity as it is needed. We can also rely on the imaginative capacity of the students to fill in the gaps between the simulated world and the real office. The role of the simulation is in some way to stimulate the learner's imagination.

Out side of an assessment scenario the simulator is a place where "time out of time" can be found, it is possible to stop the clock and discuss how it is going, get feedback and learn from the moment, if the environment has been created by the instructors a simulator can be a place where mistakes and learning from those mistakes can be welcome. 

The word authenticity came up several times, and I think in different ways.  I think one of the key dimensions of this was working with the learners as human beings and letting be themselves in the learning experience - giving them space to reflect on what is going on. Forecasting is in some sense a drama and as the drama of the situation is played out (with the forecaster(s) playing a lead role) there is plenty to learn from the meteorology and the human decision making processes at play.  We can use the simulation environment to change our models of reality as we find and correct errors in those models / ideas.  simulators can be a place for people to play - to try new ways of working that would be to risky or unhelpful in the real world.

Simulation can/is be used as an assessment tool, those using simulation in assessment require the forecaster to be able to explain why they made a particular decision - to be able to show their thinking.

Simulations can take a while to set up - to find the data put it together, get the people together and get skilled instructors to run the simulator - all take time; my sense is that it is very worth while.

Thank you all for your contributions - I have found this session really helpful for my work.

We have probably reached the point where this session is closed. However, I will stay subscribed to this forum - if I come across a useful simulator example or paper I will post it here feel free to do the same!

Warm wishes

Mark