Welcome to the CALMet session on Learning Theories

Welcome to the CALMet session on Learning Theories

por Patrick Parrish -
Número de respostas: 9

Dear CALMet Participants,

Today we will begin the session, A Hitchhiker's Guide to Learning Theory. This session will explore many of the more influential learning theories, and also some newer theories still developing their influence. I will try to put learning theory into pragmatic perspective, so show how it is viable and critical for our work, particularly if we use it with flexibility.  After looking at brief explanations, we will also look at some applications and limitations of each theory.

The session begins today with two things: 

1. Below this forum link you will find the Introductory Conversation that provides an overview of learning theories and what will be covered in the session. This is provided, as will the rest of the session content, in the form of Voicethread discussion. Click on the link and the Voicethread presentation will open in a new page. You can interrupt the presentation at any point and add your own voice or text comments or questions, which will turn it into a slide-by-slide conversation rather than a lecture. You will have to create an account at Voicethread to do so, but this takes only a moment. If you are resistant to this, you can always post to this forum instead.

2. I have also provided an optional paper titled, On Two Metaphors for Learning, and the Dangers of Choosing Just One, by Anne Sfard, a professor of mathematics education. Unfortunately, this is available only in English as a PDF image, so it cannot be easily translated. If you have time to read it, I think you will find it interesting and enjoyable. It establishes some of the themes of the session and sets the tone that I hope to achieve. 

By this evening, I hope to have posted the first core presentation, on Behaviorism, and will post additional ones periodically over the next 18 days. 

I hope you will follow and contribute the session. Your input will help ensure it is more useful for everyone. 

Regards,

Patrick Parrish, WMO

Em resposta à Patrick Parrish

Re: Welcome to the CALMet session on Learning Theories

por Mark Higgins -

Hi everyone

Thanks Pat especially for the ideas about theory in voicethread (and providing text and audio)

I would like to share some resources ....

There is a book - The Theory and Practice of Online Learning - available for free http://www.aupress.ca/index.php/books/120146

The first chapter is a nice summary of different theories of learning http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/01_Anderson_2008-Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf It fits with the categories Pat uses in his voicethread and adds connectionist.

and the second chapter is a summary of a theory of learning online http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/02_Anderson_2008-Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf

Warm wishes

Mark

Em resposta à Mark Higgins

por Patrick Parrish -

Thanks Mark!

I've added these two resources to a final section called General Resources. They are definitely nice additions.

Pat

por Bruce Muller -

After listening to your Voicethread, Pat, I'm really looking forward to this opportunity to review current thinking on these theories. Thanks for putting such a thoughtful intro together. 

I've downloaded all your pdf's to my tablet. Should make for some good evening reading over the next few weeks.

I was going to comment on your 3rd slide, the one that speaks to trainers and IDs that often use just snippets of theories to validate their design decisions, that you must have been thinking of me :-) It's been many years since graduate school and I've fallen into a pattern of using just the pieces that fit the routine I'm involved in. Revisiting these theories will no doubt help broaden my views again. 

Cheers,
Bruce

Em resposta à Bruce Muller

por Patrick Parrish -

Thanks Bruce,

I hope you enjoy some of the papers. I've been hoarding some of those for a while, and its good to put them to use. I think you might especially like "Growing Up Digital," but it goes with the later theories we'll discuss, so hold off a bit if you can.

You aren't alone of course in forgetting that we often make decisions without thinking of the theory behind them. I do it all the time too. I try to be more conscious about it these days, but I think it is OK, as long as you reflect about what you're doing at some point before going too far, and validate it with theory.

Next time you get an urge to comment with Voicethread, please do it. I hope we get some people using Voicethread, if only just to try it out and put it to the test.

I just loaded up the first new Voicethread on Behaviorism now. I hope I can keep up a pace of one every couple days. We'll see.

Pat

Some Conceptual "Maps" of different learning theories

por Joe Witte -

Hello Pat and all,

Great that you are starting this chat about learning theories as I am trying to elabroate on some learning theories for a class I am taking currently. 

Attached are a few "models" (conceptual maps)  of learning theories that may be help in mentally organizing thoughts.  Richard Mayer's work is exceptional when it comes to cognitive multimedia learning theory.  Visual learning theory also has some interesting aspects to it. 

Thanks for all your efforts,

Joe Witte, GMU Communications

Anexo 896_Learning Map Paradigmic View AE 2011.png
Anexo 896_Map_Learning blue_smallprint.png
Anexo 896_Map_Learning_Sundberg_P.png
Anexo Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 5.37.58 PM.png
Em resposta à Joe Witte

Re: Some Conceptual "Maps" of different learning theories

por Patrick Parrish -

Hi Joe,

It is great to see that you are working on these ideas right now! I was planning to touch on many of these theories and ideas, so stay tuned. Your first concept map has some very interesting aspect to it. Keep it in mind with the way I'll talk about a few of the items in contains.

Please stay connected and contributing.

Pat

por Roger Deslandes -

Hi all;

This is a great initiative and i'd like to congratulate Pat and the CALmet online organisers.

I havent seen "Voicethread" before Pat but i down loaded the App on my I-pad and the whole thing works seemlessly. It's a nice tool.

Great to see the forum discussion and I found the summary diagrams really useful.

I have directed the folks in BMTC to this series so hopefully we'll see a few takers.

cheers - Roger D

por Vesa Nietosvaara -

Pat, thank you very much for providing the participants with the transcripts of your presentation. I find them very helpful.