Evidence, theories, guiding ideas. ...

Evidence, theories, guiding ideas. ...

por Mark Higgins -
Número de respostas: 9

Hi Pat and everyone,

Pat - I am enjoying reading your summaries [just read behaviorism and cognitive load] ... 

I have two questions ...

So for each of these theories what is the evidence base for them? Are they guiding ideas or  useful labels when talking about working in particular ways or is there a bit more to it - that there is an evidence base that says that the world does work like this [under particular circumstances]

What is the role of evidence anyway? The idea of theory having a relationship with evidence may or may not help when it comes to educational theories.

Why this might matter - I make a huge number of choices every time I design an intervention, I can use these theories to critically reflect on my intervention aiming to make it as effect as possible. If the theories have been tested and have define limits that then helps me use them more wisely, and know that I am not just getting involved in a passing fad.     

Em resposta à Mark Higgins

Re: Evidence, theories, guiding ideas. ...

por Patrick Parrish -

HI Mark,

Some attempts at answers to these questions about the philosophy of science.:) Maybe others will share thoughts also. 

1. There is a signicant evidence base for most of these theories, particularly the ones in the psychological category because they are more traditionally scientific in approach. If you google them you will find many many relevant research articles. The references I provide offer some as well. For Behaviorism, the research goes back to the 1910's, I believe, and the theory is founded on a desire to have an incontrovertable evidence base. But the fact that many of its findings are not valued as highly today shows that evidence is not the only thing that is important. A theory has to grab the zeitgeist as well to be used. 

If you narrow your questions sufficiently, you will get solid evidence. If you keep them broad, it is harder to claim certainty, but you still get guidance, and often more useful guidance. 

For Cognitive Load Theory, I mentioned Richard Mayer (just Google him), but I question how valid his research is about multimedia design since he uses overly simplified controls. Go to John Sweller instead, who I think coined the term in the 80's. But the 7 + or - 2 research goes back to the 50's. For Dual Coding Theory, Mayer talks about it also, but the solid research goes back to Allan Paivo. (I had one of his books but it was unreadable.)

2. Evidence, it depends on what you are willing to accept as evidence. Behaviorists would not trust a person's report about their thoughts. But evidence is always an approximation. If you use a theory, and you get good results, does that count as evidence? That is often the kind that is achievable for the more complex learning theories. That kind of research is quite respectable, by the way. It is classified as "design research." 

Theories are not always attempts to describe exactly how the world works, but instead can be about how we can interact with it and achieve good results. John Dewey, one of the humanistic philosphers of science, prefered to avoid the word "facts" in preference of "warranted assertions". His Pragmatist philosophy valued ideas that worked over ideas that merely had logical validity or physical evidence, and it assumed that those ideas that worked would change over time because research is as much about what questions we are willing to ask as the answers we get. 

Theories are often based on analytical and intuitive thought, gather face validity, and then become the source for research questions that begin to develop more solid support. In fact, that is the more common approach, rather than "grounded theory" developed from the evidence up. The theories in this session fall along that spectrum. 

I agree we want to avoid passing fads. We have to know that a theory has a lot of support, either philosophically or pragmatically, before deciding to use it. By using it, we extend that support if it works for us. We want to avoid fads, but we also want to avoid pigeon holes that prevent us from accepting new ways of looking at the domain that could have bigger payoffs. 

Pat

Em resposta à Patrick Parrish

por Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -

Thank you for a wonderful answer Pat!

Mark, as Pat metioned, there are plenty of research papers (using the scientific method) supporting each of the psychological theories.  There are plenty of "opinion" papers about them as well.  

The ecological theories are in the process of building up research-based evidence at the present.  

Cheers,

Tsvet

Em resposta à Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov

por Patrick Parrish -

Thanks Tsvet,

I agree, in 10 years, there will be a lot of well researched evidence for the ecological theories like Connectivism. Activity theory has already shown a lot of utility, actually. Its a pretty good example of theory as tool rather than theory as description.

But your post reminded me of another point I wanted to make. Are papers that are more philosophical really just "opinion" papers?

And does education really need to be wholely scientific in its theoretical base? What if we thought of education and training as disciplines more like architecture, which has scientific, but also technical, practical, and artistic bases to it? Both are discplines in the service of helping people perform in their lives. And both should be inspiring as well, from my perspective. 

Pat

por Bruce Muller -

Oh, I really like the analogy to architecture. It encompasses the notion that there is an aesthetic component to learning, which I believe is very much the case. And I know you have lots of goodness to say about that topic. Please do!

Bruce

Em resposta à Bruce Muller

por Patrick Parrish -

Bruce, this does deserve some more discussion, but I think it will come up when we discuss the Pragmatist theory, because it sees aethetics as an important part of any meaningful experience. 

By the way, I was able to post the next "conversation" last night on Taxonomies of Learning. In the usual place at https://classroom.eumetsat.int/course/view.php?id=174&topic=9.

Pat

por Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -

Thank you Pat!  I enjoyed pondering your questions.  Here are my thoughts about them:

Are papers that are more philosophical really just "opinion" papers?

I used the term “opinion paper” to mean a paper that articulates someone’s opinion about the usefulness of a theory, model, or a software tool.  They express someone’s philosophy but occasionally omit that philosophy’s assumptions, and do a poor job of defining its terminology. :) One of my favorite authors often remarks that as humans we find it difficult to “see what's really there instead of what you hope to, expect to, or what others see.”  (This is British author Terry Pratchett.)

From time to time, I read “opinion” and philosophical papers that remind me of Zeno’s paradoxes of Achilles and the tortoise and the arrow.  Very logical, well structured and brilliantly argued, yet all one needs is a skilled archer and a tortoise to show the arguments' impracticality.

I enjoyed thinking about your next set of questions:

“And does education really need to be wholely scientific in its theoretical base? What if we thought of education and training as disciplines more like architecture, which has scientific, but also technical, practical, and artistic bases to it? Both are disciplines in the service of helping people perform in their lives. And both should be inspiring as well, from my perspective. “

In my experience, education is indeed a mixture of scientific, technical, practical and artistic elements. Occasionally, when all of them are in the right balance, a truly inspiring educational experience comes into being.

Cheers,

Tsvet

Em resposta à Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov

por Patrick Parrish -

Hi Tsvet,

I agree that a lot of writings in the education and, especially, training disciplines are lacking much grounding. They often spout truisms like, "include an interaction every 5 minutes or 5 screens" without any real evidence, just because they read it somewhere else. If they make an assertion like that, they should back it up with some form of evidence, even if they say, "in my 5 years of experience, my students stay more engaged  if I include interactions about every 5 minutes."

But I think that many research papers have similar difficulties. They don't define questions well, use questionable techniques, or draw strained conclusions. Just because it is couched as research should not make us more comfortable. 

But I think my reaction was along the lines of a concern that some will think that papers can be divided between scientific research and opinion. If you agree that education is a mixure of those things, how can we share knowledge and theories about the technical, practical and artistic elements without it being judged as opinion? Are there other ways of knowing and making valid assertions other than scientific?

Pat

por Mark Higgins -

Thanks Pat, 

I particularly like the idea of 'warrented assertions' - it gives me a sense of the practical knowledge that might be contain in a theory - but that that knowledge is not just a bunch of assertions - there is something grounding them. I.e. I can't just make stuff up that fits my tastes. but I can us my experience to inform my statements about the world. 

By the way I just started re-reading this article and thought I would share it ...

http://www.ioe.stir.ac.uk/documents/GOODEDUCATION--WHATITISANDWHYWENEEDITInauguralLectureProfGertBiesta.pdf

It is the transcript of a talk given in Scotland in 2009 - It plays with the question "what is good education?"

Mark

Em resposta à Mark Higgins

por Patrick Parrish -

Hi Mark,

You put it nicely, "I can't just make stuff up that fits my tastes, but I can use my experience to inform my statements about the world." We are not pawns to some higher knowledge, but in fact have an obligation to extend it.

The article is great. You probably could tell I would agree with him. At least for the most part. The drive for "good" versus "evidence based" is admirable, I think, reminding us that education, and even training, is a normative activity, bringing people up to standards that we or others define. Even in training like you and I do, we want to be effective, but we want to be serving the people we work with to improve their situations in appropriate ways, to do good. "Evidence based" is usually invoked when someone wants to promote one form of evidence over others--it is a judgement.

But the part on the terms "learning" vs. "education" went on a bit too long for me. I get his point, but I don't see the harm in pushing for learner centered approaches by talking in terms of learning. But we can go too far to avoid the words education, training, or teaching, or instruction.

I have read other articles promoting the value of the term "good", as it seems to be something we have lost. I agree with them.

By the way, I hope someone tries Voicethread soon.

Pat