A challenge

Re: A challenge

by Mark Higgins -
Number of replies: 0

Nice question ...

What I really do and what I think I do are probably different.

I tend to use the behaviourist approach when it comes to thinking about learning needs competencies and the design of an overall learning program. 

then I tend to get constructivist

I have a clear intention what I hope people will learn; and I seek to support that learning happening rather than controlling it.  That support might take the form of:

- a guided discussion on a topic - e.g. getting the group to tell me how water vapour absorption works

- getting people to do something and reflect on what they did with others

- getting people to teach something and give each other feedback. 

I will start the course asking people what they want to get out of our time together and get them to check that what we plan to do fits their needs. I do this also to get people used to contributing in the class room from the start.

If at all possible I break the classroom set up so that it is not in rows, and ideally looks like the tables in a cafe. I find that in classroom with nice rows and desks it is really hard to get a discussion going. but that in the Cafe style a lecture (when they happen) is not a problem.  

In the past I have used action learning sets and action inquiry to get people guiding their own learning and providing some of their own scaffolding. I can post more on these if people are interested.

Mark