A challenge

A challenge

par Patrick Parrish,
Nombre de réponses : 1

The learning theory discussion you've all been waiting for, Constructivism, is now available on your neighborhood Moodle site: https://classroom.eumetsat.int/course/view.php?id=174&topic=9.

My challenge is this: You now have 5 learning theories to look at, and I suspect that most of you apply each and every one of them when you put on courses. Can you think about how you apply them and briefly describe the strategies you use to do so?

Coming up next, the Ecological theories. These are a bit trickier to understand and explain, but I will do my best.

Pat

En réponse à Patrick Parrish

Re: A challenge

par Mark Higgins,

Nice question ...

What I really do and what I think I do are probably different.

I tend to use the behaviourist approach when it comes to thinking about learning needs competencies and the design of an overall learning program. 

then I tend to get constructivist

I have a clear intention what I hope people will learn; and I seek to support that learning happening rather than controlling it.  That support might take the form of:

- a guided discussion on a topic - e.g. getting the group to tell me how water vapour absorption works

- getting people to do something and reflect on what they did with others

- getting people to teach something and give each other feedback. 

I will start the course asking people what they want to get out of our time together and get them to check that what we plan to do fits their needs. I do this also to get people used to contributing in the class room from the start.

If at all possible I break the classroom set up so that it is not in rows, and ideally looks like the tables in a cafe. I find that in classroom with nice rows and desks it is really hard to get a discussion going. but that in the Cafe style a lecture (when they happen) is not a problem.  

In the past I have used action learning sets and action inquiry to get people guiding their own learning and providing some of their own scaffolding. I can post more on these if people are interested.

Mark