Constuctivist resource

Constuctivist resource

de Mark Higgins -
Número de respuestas: 5

http://www.screenr.com/zD27 is a quick introduction to levels of decision making in a class room (From John Heron's work). I find it a useful framework when thinking about constructivist ways of instructing.

Mark

En respuesta a Mark Higgins

Re: Constuctivist resource

de Patrick Parrish -

Hi Mark,

I like this video introduction to the decision making tool about just how learner centered you want to be. I think it reminds us that learner-centered instruction doesn't have to be just about providing a few personal decisions to make. But its hard to give up those higher levels of decision making without being concerned about meeting valuable goals or justifying the time spent. I've been with instructors who can pull it off without students feeling cheated ("why did I pay for this class if I'm doing all the work?"), but it has been in seminars without a specific curriculum required.

It also reminds me of a teacher I had who said that anything in the world could be explained with a 2 x 2 matrix if you were clever. :)

Pat

En respuesta a Patrick Parrish

de Mark Higgins -

Hi Pat

I agree it is hard to give up of the 'higher' levels.

The framework is in some way 'neutral' it does not say what is good or bad. For me it helps clarify some the choices I make as an instructor. What is effective or a good choice will depend on the intervention/course.

The issue you raise can be a very valid reason to keep the higher levels to ourselves - it's a choice . We have specific expectations from the people paying for the course and the people attending the course.

In fact all the stuff at the higher levels may have been worked on during the course design -  there may have been lots of discussion about the course content with others and in fact the curriculum was something co-created.

For me the most creative place to start is the lower levels - paying attention to the choices we make about what goes on for each learning activity. 

For me as an instructor the key idea is to pay attention to the choices I am making consciously or unconsciously 

If I get time later today I will post something about another dimension of decision making ...

Mark

En respuesta a Mark Higgins

de Erik Hagemark -

Hi Mark,

I wonder if the table shown can also be applied to learning material? I suppose in many instances (traditional teaching), it is the teacher who decides what material will be covered during a particuler training session. This is not learner centered, of course. And during my preparations for a course, I rarely get an answer if I ask the participants what they need.... So I find myself being a "negotiator" between teachers and participants....

Cheers,

Erik (currently running training in Dhaka...)

En respuesta a Erik Hagemark

de Mark Higgins -

Hi Erik,

I think the idea can be applied to learning material.  Negotiator I think is a helpful metaphor - basically helping the material and the participants get to know and interact with each other! 

In some courses that role moves to the students over time and the students help each other find and navigate the material .

Safe travels

Mark

[The Africa for Norway radiaid campaign is an interesting example of a  constructivist intervention http://www.africafornorway.no/