Investigating copyrights before reusing resources

Investigating copyrights before reusing resources

de Luciane Veeck -
Número de respuestas: 1

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at the resource below, which has been suggested to Mark in a note on Maja’s fridge:

Nietosvaara, V., Schipper, J. (2008) Training Module NWP Model Monitoring, EUMeTrain [online] http://www.eumetrain.org/resources/nwp_model.html

I wanted to learn if there were any copyright issues related to this training material. The statement below is what I found regarding the copyrights of this resource. I found it in the “Imprint” link, at the bottom left of the EUMeTrain website.

Legal Information: The information contained within this Web Site, is provided purely for informational and educational purposes. You are free to copy, distribute and transmit the work published under the following conditions that you must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work). You can also use the address link of the respected HTML document to cite the work. Doing so will also include metadata on your page so that others can find the original work as well. You may NOT use this work for commercial purposes. If you choose to alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one. If not stated otherwise, the copyright of all the material contained in this web site belongs to EUMETSAT and ECMWF, divisions or its licensors.

From the statement above I understand I am allowed to:

• Copy, distribute and transmit the work published;
  • Use the URL to cite the work;
  • Alter, transform, or build upon the work (if I distribute the material under similar license).

What intrigues me is the last sentence: “If not stated otherwise, the copyright of all the material contained in this web site belongs to EUMETSAT and ECMWF, divisions or its licensors”.

As there is nothing else stated, I believe the copyright of this material belongs to EUMETSAT and ECMWF (not to Vesa and Jarno). Then I wonder…

Should I have a look at EUMETSAT and ECMWF copyright statements to check for some restrictions of use?

My personal interpretation of this case is that EUMETSAT and ECMWF have agreed that I am allowed “to copy, distribute and transmit the work…” as stated in the Legal information in the EUMETrain website, so that their own individual copyright statements would not apply to EUMETrain materials.

This case may be interpreted as one example that copyrights are not always very clear, but this should not stop us from reusing and repurposing existing materials. We just need to be aware that we should investigate the copyrights beforehand.

This may also serve as a reminder that if we clearly state what use can be made of the training resources we produce, then this will make it easier for the material to be reused by others.

Lu

En respuesta a Luciane Veeck

Re: Investigating copyrights before reusing resources

de Patrick Parrish -

Hi Lu,

Thanks for this post about the complexities of copyright and the challenges of attributing ownership, especially when multiple agencies and levels of ownership are involved.

I am reminded that in legal copyrights cases, the courts typically look for "due diligence" in following copyrights, so personally, I would accept the Eumetrain statement at face value, and not bother to dig deeper, assuming that the authors did that. At some point we just have to be reasonable I suppose. I was happy that Vesa and Jarno included such a complete copyright statement, and that it matches CC statements so well, which made me comfortable in reusing the resource if I wanted. If in the unlikely case of being challenged for copyright infringment, I think the burden to establish ownership would then be between Eumetrain and EUMETSAT/ECMWF to agree. Since the rights have remained for some time as written, I would feel comfortable that I could use the resource as described.

Patrick