Live Session on CALMet Moodle Course

Live Session on CALMet Moodle Course

par Mustafa ADIGUZEL,
Nombre de réponses : 4

Dear All,

We are pleased to let you know that we were able to record the live session held yesterday on 27 September 2016; and would like to apologize for the inconvenience appeared because of the audio at the beginning of the session. The link is below and will also be available at the front page.

Thanks for your interest!
Luciane & Barbara & Patrick & Mustafa
En réponse à Mustafa ADIGUZEL

Re: Live Session on CALMet Moodle Course

par Vesa Nietosvaara,

Thank you for posting the recording link to this week webinar, Mustafa. Nice to see how different Moodle installations can be linked! Congratulations for making it easy for us to access the WMO environment without leaving the CALMet Online environment.

I have actually a question related to a current project I am working on. It has to do with the Moodle Course Unit 3: how to provide opportunities for dialogue and reflection. Barbara explained this Unit in the live session.

We are planning a facilitated online course through Moodle, and we need to help the dialogue and communication to happen within the course. The first choice would be to use Forums and Chats in Moodle. But we have found that sometimes course participants feel shy to express their views in a forum. They may feel their posts are assessed, rated and monitored. And this results in somewhat low activity in forums.

I would be happy if people in this forum could help me in choosing the best method for making the discussion in the upcoming course more lively and relaxed: does someone have experiences in running informal online discussions during their courses? How did you do it ? What media did you use? Did you use social media solutions?

Thanks for help and greetings, Vesa

En réponse à Vesa Nietosvaara

par Mustafa ADIGUZEL,

Hi Vesa et al.,

I think the pre-course activities are very helpful for this. Once the course officially started, many participants think as exactly you mentioned. They may feel shy to express their views in a forum because of different reasons including language, experience, etc. I can share two experiences that I hope will help you.

Once I attend an online facilitated course and I did not know any participants. During the pre-course session, the facilitator started a Forum discussion, which had nothing to do with subject of the course. It was about the meaning of our names in our languages. Just one sentence or a few only. Almost everyone felt okay and did not have the concerns you mentioned, including me :-) I believe it also helped some participants to get familiar with the Forum and experiment how to post, as it was first time for them. When the course started next week, many participants were participating and I think that pre-course forum helped a lot.

I can share another experience here that we try in the Train-the-Trainer Online Courses. We decided to have the Forum posted to be rated. It seems this is on the contrary with what you expressed as "They may feel their posts are assessed, rated and monitored."  Maybe some participants here will remember that we have rating but ONLY POSITIVE "Excellent contribution" and "Like". Of course this can be improved but we see this also encouraging the participants.

Does anyone have any other experience to share or any idea that you think it may work?

Mustafa

En réponse à Mustafa ADIGUZEL

par Amos Asalu,

Hi Mustafa Adiguzel

I have two issues,first  the live session recently held still inaccessable to me  from the recorded link.I  do not know whether it is my PC which is faulty or not, two how are the posts rated? I have always got mine average rating!

Cheers

Amos

En réponse à Amos Asalu

par Mustafa ADIGUZEL,

Hi Amos,

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty in streaming the recording. It might be the bandwidth in your location. I also share below the link for download if you want to try.

Streaming link: https://wmo.webex.com/wmo/ldr.php?RCID=22cb13b7b5cad65d85037ad6a199e096

Download link: https://wmo.webex.com/wmo/lsr.php?RCID=9d7505d5157410fa998e7548b55ad9fb

Regarding your second question, you may wish to visit the Book "3.1.5 Using ratings in forums" in "Unit 3: Provide opportunities for dialogue and reflection" which was linked from CALMet Online, just above the forum.

Mustafa