My experiences with simulator training

My experiences with simulator training

par Heleen ter Pelkwijk,
Nombre de réponses : 4

Thought I will start to share some experiences I had with simulator training...this is a presentation I gave at a WMO train the trainer course in Sibiu, but I striped it a little to fit within the download limits.

I have added my story to the comments box within PPT

En réponse à Heleen ter Pelkwijk

Re: My experiences with simulator training

par Lih Mei LIM,

Hi Heleen,

Remember that I told you your presentation in Citeko, Indonesia, has "inspired" me?

I have done something similar but of much smaller scale to serve as one of our training tools for new forecasters. This can also be used as a revision tool for senior forecasters too.

En réponse à Heleen ter Pelkwijk

par Vesa Nietosvaara,

Hi, Heleen,

I will add later on one example of your simulator I used this year on one training course. Anyone can try how it works , and I suppose you dont mind me making the source code available as well.

I would also like to see or hear how Lih Mei Lim's simulation exercise works. I like doing something in small scale and keeping things simple and manageable.

En réponse à Vesa Nietosvaara

par Kathy-Ann Caesar,

Hi Heleen

I will be using the simulator during our current forecaster course.  We have a similar simulation excercise at the end out 18 month forecaster training and I has been very sucessful to build conferdence in the participants and detect the one that would require further training.

For a month we simulate an operational forecast office with as many aspects of the real environment as possible, including random 'walkin forecast request to strange locations'.; severe weather briefings and daily weather briefing.  It will be great to add the simulator.

As we introduce the simulator I will be happy to send you feed back on the results.

Thanks for the great discussions.

Kathy

En réponse à Vesa Nietosvaara

par Lih Mei LIM,

Hello,

Our version of simulator training is real simple. We didnt invest much resources in programming because this would take much time to communicate to the IT personnel.

Our purpose of this training is to allow

• new forecasters to go through case studies on different weather systems observed in a year and
  • existing forecasters can take this training as a refresher course.

Radar and satellite images, METAR, SPECI and so on for selected severe weather systems observed in each season (we have northeast monsoon, southwest monsoon and inter-monsoon seasons) were compiled.

A junior forecaster would do through the case studies with a senior forecaster as if they are facing the real situation. The junior would have to react, for example, issue an aerodrome warning, wind shear warning, trend appropriate trend statement and so on. The senior would guide and point out any weak areas.

During this training, the junior reinforces the criteria for aerodrome warnings, trend statements. The senior takes it as a refresher course. All these have helped in their preparation for Competency Assessment for AMP.