Welcome

Welcome

by Natalie Werbitski -
Number of replies: 1

Welcome to this session on “The Competency Assessment Process”.  I look forward to sharing ideas and thoughts with you regarding a competency-based approach to the assessment of meteorological knowledge and skills.

The goal of this session is to learn from each other in order to gain a better understanding and perhaps a deeper appreciation for the value of competency assessment.  In this day and age, there is a greater focus on both competency-based learning and management, and it makes sense that there should also be a shift towards competency-based assessment of knowledge and skills.  This type of approach to assessment can be very valuable within the field of meteorology, where a specific knowledge base and skill set is required. 

I invite you to participate, and help us to make the most out of this session.  We’ll have a live presentation tomorrow on October 23rd at 1430Z. You can register for that below:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/518496304

If you are not able to make it for the presentation, don’t worry.  We will record it and make it available as a resource to you afterwards. 

You can also participate by posting your comments to the discussion forum, so please feel free to share any of your own ideas, thoughts, experiences, or questions that you might have.

To kick things off, I would like to open up the discussion with some questions to ponder:  Why do you think that a competency-based approach to assessment might be beneficial?  Are there times when it might be more appropriate to use a competency-based approach to assessment? And on the other hand, are there times when a competency-based approach is perhaps not the best method of assessment?

~Natalie

In reply to Natalie Werbitski

Re: Welcome

by Bruce Muller -

The recording of Natalie's presentation is now available for viewing:

https://classroom.eumetsat.int/mod/resource/view.php?id=4498

If you are involved in competency assessment, Natalie's presentation will be of interest to you. It includes an overview of the MSC's assessment process for aviation forecasters with useful summaries of key steps in the process and many tips for best practice when putting together your own assessment team. Enjoy!