Thank You

Thank You

por Maja Kuna -
Número de respostas: 4

Time flies. Three weeks planned for "Anyone there???? Making your Making Your Online Sessions Effective” are about to end. However, we have still a few thing to share with you.

SUMMARY WEEK 3

Our focus this week was on the thread  2. Technology works - what's next?, which is a part of “Anyone there?” wiki.

We were wondering how to convert visuals to make them "online friendly"? What is the perfect number of slides?

They say...counting slides is a wrong approach.

"The number is not important. To be concerned with the number of slides shows that our head is in the wrong place. Because...it is the wrong question to ask."

(G. Reynolds, in the Presentation Zen blog)

You agreed ... and added: design visuals wisely.

Better to choose or design instructional visuals wisely.” (Pat)

Moreover...design wisely for non-native speakers.

Use more graphics and animations: they need no translation. Use simple , short, but full sentences in slides. Upload your speaker notes / slides onto web and give the link in the beginning of the session - people can use google translate to follow your presentation better.” (Vesa)

We collected together some interesting references too, see the “Resource” section for that. And we DID notice wikis growing in content.

Evaluation

As we said at the beginning of this session, we count on any participation, so being a post writer or a silent reader was welcome. We are also curious to know how many silent readers were out there. We ask you to fill the shortest survey ever. It consists of 3 questions only. And you do not have to login to fill it in. You may leave your comment too if you wish so. The link is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dGFwa0d4ZFZGcUYwYlExa1FzcUNFTFE6MQ

Friday afternoon seems perfect to answer “How do you feel?” question, so please do it today!

Live Session and the Recording

We hope you enjoyed the live session as much as we did. Thank you for waking up so early or breaking your work for us! You are great teacher guys. We need a Lithuanian-Dutch synchronous revision to check if the knowledge stayed. Who could not make it today, needs to be satisfied with the recording only. There are some good examples, collaboration, and discussion though (see the text chat log attached). We say, it is worth watching. The link is here:

http://mt204.sabameeting.com/GP/main/0000014f8b9a0000013a30818fa08200

Wikispaces

We were working in Moodle but actually the wikis are accessible outside of this environment. You may check it using the link below:

http://calmet12.wikispaces.com/

You may edit this wiki as a guest. Or login and drop your ideas using your name and ID.

As the ideas are still popping up, please use wiki and forum at your convenience. We will add Erik’s tip about using polls as synchronous and asynchronous activity. Thanks for sharing it today.

Thank you all for “Being there!!!”

Enjoy ongoing and next CALMet Online sessions.

Vesa & Maja

Em resposta à Maja Kuna

Re: Thank You

por Roro Yuliana Purwanti -

Dear Maja and Vesa

Thanks for the wonderful sync session yesterday. You both did great job to make everyone really be there :-). I underlined the word "effective" in the topic, and figure that participants have a significant role to make this forum meets the desired result/effect by giving their feedback. 

Herewith some reflections from a non-native participant :

-- I proved myself that Claudia's opinion was correct. For non-native participant, the best result could be gained from a blended learning process. For me personally it is like an earthquake natural process. it begins with a thread of 'foreshock' (in this matter a series of async sessions to wake up and to start the engine, this includes providing the handsout of ppt). then a,'mainshock' (in this case is the sync session), to make people engaged. then  'aftershock', another thread of async session (better with time limitation/deadline of the end time), as to release the rest of energy, to confirm the lesson and understanding, to ask further about the idea growing in the sync session. For participant, I do encourage to include the activity of see the playback, to have a comprehensive understanding.

-- the sync session for non native has extend to be longer than for native. in this point, effective could not be merely measured by the time span of the session. longer time is needed to adjust participant to the learning environment and let them feel comfort to jump in to the session. Similar to the presenter, for participant, be on time. It will bring additional nervosity for being late (like I had yesterday :-) .

-- Presenter should allow some silent in the beginning then welcome the questions/comments/ feedback which follow after (like I am doing right now :-) . In this point I proved Vesa's opinion was right. non native take times to reading and understanding slides, while listening to the presenter in one time, such a challange. It is wise to put the participant to the predictable environment by upload the slides before the session. Otherwise, they are questioning along the session while trying to adapt, and when they finally adapted, the session has over. But, exceptionally can be made. Once in a while, the session fully of "the unpredictable activities" that challange their creativity could be made. It will give another perspective and bring different excited feeling of being involved.

And, one impression for me, while others maybe put the OL session in secondary screen, and easily get the point of the session meanwhile doing something else, the non native participants should put it in the main screen intentionally and totally focus in it if they wish to get comprehensive understanding. That is why, probably the reason, we are selective in sync session, Such a challange, but for the session like yesterday, it is worthwhile to be done..

Congratulation Maja and Vesa, Thanks also for inspiring comments from all participants, I really learnt a lot..

Happy Weekend, all..

Em resposta à Roro Yuliana Purwanti

por Patrick Parrish -

Dear Yuliana,

Thanks for this summary of your impressions of this great session, and how you value both the asynchronous and synchronous aspects. I will be thinking of you as I plan my session to start in 2 weeks, which will mostly be asynchronous. I hope I can pass your selective criteria if we decide we should have a synchronous session as well. :)

Even though I missed the live session, the recorded session was also very interesting to see the points Vesa and Maja made about when live sessions can be extra valuable. We need both.

I hope you are thinking ahead of the WMO Train-the-Trainer we will be collaborating on in the next year in Citeko. We need to make that blended as well, so we look to you for help and guidance.

Pat

Em resposta à Patrick Parrish

por Roro Yuliana Purwanti -

Dear Pat

Thank you for your response, more over for your willing to consider participant perspective more in planning your session. 

Yes Pat, so far, blended learning seems to be the best choice for our next WMO Train-the-Trainer. 

I am glad I have the opportunity to participate this CALMet 2012, right in the middle of preparation of the Train-the-Trainer 2013, and I do willing to attend the session and follow what grows in the forum as much as I can. I learned a lot from other experiences (yours too, especially nice intructional illustrations :-)

Since this event is so experimental and practical, I believe there many experiences we could use as to make our collaboration next year going smoothly.

Looking forward to participate in your session, Pat...

Cheers,

Roro Yuliana

Em resposta à Roro Yuliana Purwanti

por Izolda Marcinonienė -

Dear All,

I could  confirm Youliana's words.Thanks, Maja and Vesa!

And I especially like her expression about participants with different languages.Yes, in this case lecturers should know the audiency but participants also should be more concentrated on screen not doing  other business! Recorded sessions always help in deep undestanding but active live participation make online presentations more interesting and could open unexpected sides of theme:)

Izolda