01 It's all about performance

01 It's all about performance

بواسطة - Ian Bell
عدد الردود: 10

Hi all,

I have uploaded a narrated PowerPoint file to the resources, along with a PNG image of the main diagram for printing. Please download the PPT and run it in slide show mode. It provides a learning-training model as a context for the tools that will follow and as a basis for planning and evaluating aspects of our training.

As you go through it, keep in mind something that you teach that you would like to improve.

I have created this as an asynchronous resource due to our wide geographical dispersion. (I found it much more difficult than a direct webinar.)

Please provide feedback to this forum. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Ian

رداً على Ian Bell

Re: 01 It's all about performance

بواسطة - Erik Hagemark

Hi,

Thank you for this. I particularly liked that the ppt was with narration and that I could just sit back and follow the slides. This was much more informative than just having slides available. I believe a new standard has been set on asynchronous training! :)

As for application, I have just become involved with a group tasked to  design (internal) training in climatology/climate change for a varied group of people at our institute. We are at the initial stages, planning what will be course, with or without asynchronous activities.

To address the performance gap, we intend to survey the needs of potential participants, asking them what they need in terms of the theme (climatology/climate change) and how this will improve the tasks they have related to the theme. This will help us design learning experiences, and perhaps more importantly, who will participate in the different activities we are planning.

Thanks to Ian and the entire CALMET team for arranging Calmet online, the usefulness is going far beyond expectations already!

Best,

Erik (Met.no)

رداً على Erik Hagemark

بواسطة - Vesa Nietosvaara

Ian, thank you for a very nice way to introduce us with the topic. Just like Erik, I enjoyed the presentation format.

I still need to work more on that performance and performance gap that you talk about. For example, when I think about satellite training - the performance gap is maybe something different than a knowledge gap. (If the forecaster would know everything one could ever know about every satellite product and channel, would it  guarantee that he performs better?)

رداً على Vesa Nietosvaara

بواسطة - Ian Bell

Hi Vesa,

I agree with you that knowledge is not enough. There are times when we explicitly need knowledge for its own sake but most of the time the knowledge is to enable people to perform a task.

This is where competencies come in. They need to be based on what people will do - the job tasks.

A good example of this was when I was helping to develop some tsunami warning training. Two of the initial competencies were:

• A broad but sound understanding of the instrumentation used to identify sea level changes; and
  • A sound understanding of the theory of tides and sea level; sea level observing systems and quality control of sea level data

I asked the question, "If there is a tsunami heading towards Australia and the Prime Minister phones, will she ask the forecaster to explain how the instruments work?" The answer, of course, was "No". I then asked why they needed to know about the instruments and observations. Based on this our updated version became:

• Interpret observational data to confirm or deny the arrival of a tsunami, and to determine its strength and arrival time at the observation site

This is what a forecaster has to do. Incidentally it changed the whole approach to training that competency. They still needed to understand aspects of the instruments and observation theory but now it was for an authentic purpose.

I'll give a checklist for attributes of a good competency in the next few days.

cheers

Ian

رداً على Erik Hagemark

بواسطة - Ian Bell

Hi Erik,

It's the first time I've put narration into PowerPoint. In principle it's straightforward but there were some stange quirks.At one stage the sound level inexplicitly dropped and I had to re-record a number of slides. Also the quality was variable.

In terms of surveying your participants about what they would like on the course, could I suggest that you focus on performance. You could do this by asking them what aspects of their jobs they would like to improve or that they have noticed would help their colleagues to perform better. You could ask similar questions of their supervisors and other stakeholders.

cheers

Ian

رداً على Ian Bell

Re: 01 It's all about performance - the files

بواسطة - Ian Bell

Hi,

Several people said they were unable to find the files for the first topic. This is probably becvause I uploaded them in the wrong place and Pat had to move them for me. Thanks Pat. So I'm uploading them again with this post. There is a pptx file and a png so you can print the diagram for reference and notes during the talk.

I tried saving the PowerPoint file as a .ppt rather than a .pptx file for those with 2003 versions. Unfortunately when I do this it strips out the embedded narration.

Cheers

Ian

المرفق idb01a Learning-training cycle.png
رداً على Ian Bell

بواسطة - Barbara Bourdelles

Hi all,

like some of you, I have troubles with the pptx 2010 format and can't listen to Ian speaking while the slides go on. I have Office 2003, with the 2007 extension. Then the slides show right, but without sound.

But I found a solution : the pptx file is in fact a zip archive. So I made a copy of the pptx, renamed it id***.zip, opened it with an archive extractor (Winzip, 7Zip, etc.) and extrated the sound files from the ppt\media\ directory. Then with VLC, I made a playlist with these sound files, and listened to them while watching the pptx with Powerpoint. 

Hope this help !

Barbara

رداً على Barbara Bourdelles

بواسطة - Patrick Parrish

Great solution! And great sleuthing Barbara. I hope morpeople can enjoy the sessithis way way. 

Patrick

رداً على Patrick Parrish

بواسطة - Ian Bell

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for working through this. I can't test it as my computer doesn't have earlier versions of ppt.

I have tried a few workarounds today on the competencies pptx. The results might be of interest to others too.

1. I found a setting to "optimise media" for presentation on another computer and resaved the pptx. This may work. (???)

2. I saved it as a Windows media file and an MP4 video. These work well. They maintain the animations and you can control the location in time but you can't get a response to a click. The downside is that the file sizes are 62 and 78 MB each. If necessary I could put one in Dropbox for downloading.

3. I used iSpring (a recent Giveaway-of-the-day) to convert it to HTML5 format. It seemed to change the size and so moved the text in the rectangle to the left and chopped the side of the rectangle off. This is very odd as the rectangle was actually a textbox so should have all stayed together.

4. Finally I saved the optimised media version as a macro-enabled slide show.  You can click your way through the ppt (.ppsx?) but if you hit escape the show closes. In other woords, you can't stop it.

I'll upload the optimised media pptx file (attempt 1) with this post. If someone who has 2003 PPT with the 2007 reader/extension could try it and let me know if it works I would appreciate it. If it works I can upload versions that everyone can use.

Thanks a lot

Ian

رداً على Ian Bell

بواسطة - Barbara Bourdelles

Hi Ian,

I tried your optimised pptx with Office 2003+2007 extension. There was no change, I had no sound neither. Inside the archive, the sound files are compressed in m4a format instead of wma, but at the end, the file is bigger and still gives no sound :-(

Thank you for trying. 

Barbara