First Challenge

First Challenge

by Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov -
Number of replies: 26

Greetings everyone!

The first challenge is for you to watch the following video by Jane McGonigal about the potential of games:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world

After watching the video, please post the most surprising thing you learned about the possible positive effects that games can have on the real world.

In reply to Tsvetomir Ross-Lazarov

Re: First Challenge

by Chris Sackiw -

That gamers sense of accomplishment is carried into real life, i.e., those in the peak oil game used lessons learned within the game and apparently changed their own actions.

In reply to Chris Sackiw

That is a curious result indeed!  As trainers, we often see that our learners do not transfer the knowledge from our courses to their daily work.  It seems that the ingredients in games increase the chance that the transfer will occur.

Tsvet

by Francis Wu -
Hi Tsvet,

Thank you for sharing this inspiring video. I am a gamer myself so most of the points really resonated with me.

To answer your question, I felt the most surprising positive effect of games on the real world is how players' gaming abilities can be transferred and harnessed into reality if they were given a means to do so. I have to agree that I picked up most of my problem solving skills through playing games. However, the toughest part is to give players a platform in real life to demonstrate and utilize these abilities.

I find the biggest difference between reality and the virtual world is that games are programmed to give the players a chance, however slim, to win while this rule does not necessarily apply in the real world. As Jane mentioned, the tasks at hand in games are just at the right level, or at the very edge of the character's abilities, so that success is within reach and players would be driven to accomplish this goal.

By the way, the hardest part of this challenge is actually getting past the Great Canadian Firewall because the link was flagged as inappropriate work material ("games")!

Francis
In reply to Francis Wu

I agree with the main challenge - enabling gamers to exercise their skills in reality. Usually, it is up to each individual to find a way to use their skills.  Problem-solving strategies are a good example of skills that can be transferred to real-life situations.  The skills to assess a situation, select a course of action, reflect on the results of the action, and refine the action can be used for most problems in the real world.

As you point out, reality is very complex and often it does not seem that we can succeed regardless of the strategies we try.  This is where the tendency to work hard and persevere (that some gamers develop) becomes very useful.  I sometimes wish that reality had a "Save" or "Undo" button, so that I can quickly return to a previous state of the situation and try a new approach. :)

by Vesa Nietosvaara -

Tsvet,

I found in the video presentation the most surprising that gaming can bring something useful into the real world.

I must admit I had always thought playing games for hours after the work day would be a waste of time, or at least it would not have any link with our real world problems.

In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

by Francis Wu -
Hi Vesa,

As Jane mentioned in the video, playing games is a good escape from reality problems that are out of our control. Stress relief is not a waste of time ... it keeps us sane and allows us to persevere to solve the issues at hand :)

Now playing too much on the other hand would be counterproductive because you would be playing instead of doing other meaningful tasks (like vacuuming!).

Francis
In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

Thanks for posting Vesa!  Having real world impact is a surprising effect of games.  Apart from the games that Jane mentioned, maths and language learning games have helped children improve their maths skills, while gamified language apps like "Duo Lingo" have helped people of all ages communicate with each other.

Tsvet

by Tamara Gnjidic Vuksa -

Hello everybody,

I hope I am not too late to share my thoughts. I agree with Vesa, I never thought that spending many hours playing games can do much good. After watching this video I realized that every gamer has superpowers that need to be translated into real world, everybody can get the sense of accomplishment if they are motivated in suitable way. The most astonishing thing is, it is not so far from everybody's reach. We just need to design smart games!

Tamara

In reply to Tamara Gnjidic Vuksa

Not late at all!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Creating the smart educational games you mentioned is key.

Tsvet

by Roro Yuliana Purwanti -

Tsvet

Talking about urgent optimism, for me personally, I feel the opposite. I am a poor game player, and playing games brings me a lot of frustration. So that face of "I am not good at....." will often appear when I am playing games :-) 

In the other hand, I can see my kids develop their skills in language and strategy through games they play. Also they learn about the ethics and rules in social games. The challenge is now to choose the most appropriate games for them that fit their ages.

Roro

In reply to Roro Yuliana Purwanti

by Larisa Nikitina -

Roro, i think that depends very much on the kind of the game.
For example, i am ex-gamer and i was good with strategy games where i was making all decision by myself. And I am not good in any kind of team plays, at any kind of it I have a bad player face :)

Jane is talking mostly about Warcraft game - that is strategy game. And i belive all these 4 superpowers she is talking about they are mostly for Warcraft players

In reply to Larisa Nikitina

Thanks for sharing replying!

Jane used World of WarCraft as an example.  There are many other games that give those powers to players - Minecraft, Math Blaster, StarCraft, the XCOM series, etc.

In reply to Roro Yuliana Purwanti

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Roro.

As Larisa suggests, it could be that you have not found the games you are good at playing.  I struggled to be good at a game for over 10 years, but I was willing to work hard and improved.  The game is like three-dimensional chess in which you cannot see what your opponent is doing. :)

I agree that finding the appropriate educational games for kids is a major challenge.  You might want to look into games like the Math Blaster series.

Cheers,

Tsvet

by Larisa Nikitina -

Hi all!
I am an old ex-gamer. :))
I used to play hours and hours till got the tunnel syndrome of my right mouse hand. Happens that I stopped playing games about 6-5 years ago when my life changed and lost this habit at once.
I have learned before all this possible positive effects of PC games –

•  good PC skills (can you imagine what games were in the 1990-2000th? :),
  • deep concentration (it is very important for nowadays kids with hyperactivities and a lot of information “noise” around)
  • persistent problems solving and decision making and so on…

One of the surprising things for me about the gamification (not in that video) was the decreasing level of aggression in the world at last 15-20 years due to the video games. It is a real statistic! And I believe that all those football hooligans in Euro-2016 now they are not gamers :))

As for Jane McGonigal`s ideas they are a little bit debatable for me. Hope they are really so!

Lara

In reply to Larisa Nikitina

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  I am glad to hear that you found games useful in the past.  The three things you mentioned are important life skills.

Several good players of the game StarCraft shared that in their schools they were considered hyperactive and unable to concentrate.  Once they started playing StarCraft, they reported that their concentration improved. 

I have come across a similar violence statistic for the whole world overall.  Perhaps, the constant violence that is reported in the world reflects a media bias towards it.

Jane's ideas are certainly debatable.  Yet, games like A World Without Oil, Superstruct, and Evoke point to a real world positive impact.

Tsvet

by Asteria Handayani -

Hi Tsvet,

I echoed Vesa and Tamara on this. Once I saw Jane's video and read all her speech in the provided text file, I was surprised to learn how she could relate gaming into real world's problem solving..  

One of the thing interest me was about how gaming could make gamers change into more collaborative and hearty people! We do need those positive attitudes in the real world, especially if we are talking on pursuing common goals in our institution..

cheers,

-Tya-

In reply to Asteria Handayani

by Brad Snyder -

I very much enjoyed Jane's talk. She tells an inspiring story!

What surprised me most? I guess it would have to be the sheer number of hours that are spent on games and how we could potentially tap into this expertise in the 'real world'. I firmly believe that we would all benefit from incorporating a more challenging, rewarding and fun workplace.

I viewed another video recently which really underlined the potential to solve world problems.

Check out this video; in particular at 7:10 into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Qjuegtiyc

Brad

PS. that's a very small map of the 'world' at 7:34 of Jane's talk ;-)

In reply to Brad Snyder

Thanks for posting your thoughts Brad!

It is a surprise to find out how much hours go into gaming.  

Thanks for posting the video too!

Tsvet

In reply to Asteria Handayani

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tya!

The benefits of learning collaboration through games have attracted the attention of companies in the US.  Some of them ask their people to play games as part of increasing communication skills and collaboration on projects.

When players are working towards overcoming a game challenge, they often need to talk to each other ahead of time and organize their teams and strategies.  Then while in the game, they need to constantly communicate with each other and adapt to the situation before them.

I agree that it would be wonderful to see more positive attitudes in the real world.  So that as we are working together to solve the challenges facing the world, we will not be discouraged by failure.  We would pause, reflect, come up with a new strategy and try again until we succeed.

Tsvet

by Patrick Parrish -

What surprised me the most is that once I started watching the video I actually finished it! When I saw it was 20 minutes long, and after working a 10 hour day during Executive Council meetings at WMO, I was feeling left out. I wished it was a text document I could scan quickly rather than be force to listen in realtime. But I started, and then finished. 

What surprise me the most (pretend surprise), is that she admitted to being better at games than at real life. Games put boundaries on problems that real life does not usually do. They frame life comfortably, even in monstrous games like World of Warcraft, I guess. For one, we do not have to work with people playing by other rules, or who do not want to play the game at all. No wonder they are easier. But worse than this is that in real life we sometimes have to work/live with people who think that life is just a game to play. 

I am inspired by the video, but also alarmed that we have to resort to games to solve real world problems. Then again, we resort to stories to make sense of our lives, and to organisational constraints to work together comfortably. So, why not put them to work to do real work? When do the games end, and real life begin? Why worry?

Thanks for this. 

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Parrish

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Patrick!

I am glad you enjoyed the video (the video has a transcript too).

The artificial constructs in games make playing with them a bit easier than real life.  Playing by the same rules is very important.  One of the things that help people connect with each other in games (in person or online) is the willingness to play by the same rules and trust that others do so too.  This is one reason why many gaming companies have harsh penalties for those who come up with cheats to break the rules.

I agree that it is alarming we need to use games to solve world problems.  It seems that reality is presenting us with so many obstacles, different rules, apathy, discouragement, etc. that games have become more appealing.  I think that is one of Jane's points about why reality is broken. :)

Thanks for pointing out the important role that stories play in our lives.  Recent research I came across suggested that our need to have a coherent story about something that happened, can override and change our memory of what actually occurred.

Tsvet

by Bodo Zeschke -
I liked the positive take on video games, as presented by Jane McGonigal. However, I think there is a danger in comparing the games that we use in our education to video games that one can buy in the shops, online etc. In the course of this you may be missing the "elephant in the room" That is because not all games are positive. Many video game producers gain a popularity for their games by providing gory, brutal, exploitative, themes within their content. I find these games repulsive to the extreme and yet they are very very popular with certain groups of people. In order to gain an advantage within these games it is important to engage in all sorts of morally corrupt actions from the safety of your gaming room. I think these games go a long way to desensitizing the person who is "hooked" on these games and to give them a totally distorted outlook on the real world. I think that games have the potential to be good, but I think there are all too many game producers who do not see that as their first priority.
In reply to Bodo Zeschke

Greetings Bodo.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts!  I am glad that you liked Jane’s talk.

In a way, your post summarizes the human condition.  When we choose to, we can dedicate our minds and hearts to solving problems in ways that bring well-being, peace and prosperity to millions.  When we choose to, we can visit unspeakable horrors upon millions.  Regardless of the context - games, the internet, economics, education, media - a lot depends on where we choose to focus our abilities.

Fortunately, on this forum we chose to focus on games that help us engage, motivate, and challenge the participants in our courses, so that they can become better at providing the services of meteorological organizations around the world.

We are not alone in our focus.  Thousands of game designers and educators gather every year to share their experience and knowledge in creating educational games.  Their conference is called Games, Learning and Society (http://glsconference.org).  When I first attended it a few years ago, there were about 150 participants.  Today, there are thousands of participants and the games that they showcase are focused on helping people of all ages build their capacities.

While many big budget game studios create violent games, others do not. The makers of one of the most popular strategy game announced yesterday the release of CivilizationEDU to schools.  They have designed the game to “provide students with the opportunity to think critically and create historical events, consider and evaluate the geographical ramifications of their economic and technological decisions, and to engage in systems thinking and experiment with causal/correlative relationships between military, technology, political and socioeconomic development.” (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160623005149/en/) It is unfortunate that our media outlets spend so little time covering such developments but generously cover violent games.  Another choice perhaps?

The game also offers statistical tracking to measure “students’ proficiency at problem solving.”  The game designers claim to have found a way to equate student progress in the game with their mastery of the historical concepts presented.  I’d like to see how they have done that.

Cheers,

Tsvet

by Larisa Nikitina -

The makers of one of the most popular strategy game announced yesterday the release of CivilizationEDU to schools.  They have designed the game to “provide students with the opportunity to think critically and create historical events, consider and evaluate the geographical ramifications of their economic and technological decisions, and to engage in systems thinking and experiment with causal/correlative relationships between military, technology, political and socioeconomic development.” (http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160623005149/en/)

Oh! So great! I liked this Civilization game in my gamer times.

I`d like to check this CivilizationEDU :)

by Larisa Nikitina -

I came across a very interesting book about the effect of virtual games to real life:

John C. Beck "Got Game: How the Gamer Generation is Reshaping Business Forever"

https://books.google.ru/books?id=uxz6UU_AW3cC&redir_esc=y 

"Got Game" shows how growing up immersed in video games has profoundly shaped the attitudes and abilities of this new generation. Though little-noticed, these ninety million rising professionals, through sheer numbers, will inevitably dominate business - and are already changing the rules. While many of these changes are positive - such as more open communication and creative problem-solving - they have caused a generation gap that frustrates gamers and the boomers who manage them.
"Got Game" identifies the distinct values and traits that define the gamer generation - from an increased appetite for risk to unexpected leadership skills - and reveals management techniques today's leaders can use to bridge the generation gap and unleash gamers' hidden potential. 

by Amos Asalu -

This is a wonderful text! If games are used purposeful for achieving means to an end,  then virtual world can be transformed to real world. This text makes me belief games can indeed be tools for change. I congratulate Jane McGonigal, The game designer.Today it is uncommon to get people engaged on phone games! Journeys are covered un- noticed! Creativity is part of the day! Is it possible for me to get more literature on this work?