The Second recorded presentation "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders"

The Second recorded presentation "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders"

by Bodo Zeschke -
Number of replies: 10

I am just finishing the preparations for the second of my recorded presentations, titled "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders". The recordings should be on the CALMET 2016 web page soon.

In preparing for this I have taken into account some of the relevant feedback from the "Pre-Session Survey".

I have been inspired by Bruce Muller's recommendations regarding the Prezi tool functionality. Although I will be using a PowerPoint presentation as a framework for this recording I have been experimenting with the animations etc. of the slides in order to make the discussion more "sequentially flowing" and engaging. I hope you will like the final product :-)

Bodo

PS. please don't forget to send me your feedback and questions pertaining to the existing resources and the current discussion.....

In reply to Bodo Zeschke

Re: The Second recorded presentation "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders"

by Bodo Zeschke -

Just to let you know that the second of my recorded presentations, titled "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders" is now on the CALMET web page at https://classroom.eumetsat.int/course/view.php?id=259

The content has been divided into five "bite sized" recordings, each of duration less than 10 minutes. For convenience the format of the recordings is in .wmv and .mp4 format.

I look forward to your questions and feedback :-)

In reply to Bodo Zeschke

Re: The Second recorded presentation "Collaboration with Satellite Champions and other Stakeholders"

by Tamara Gnjidic Vuksa -

Hello Bodo,

I found the concept of satellite champions very interesting. Do they perform training duties in their regional offices as well?

Cheers

Tamara

In reply to Tamara Gnjidic Vuksa

by Bodo Zeschke -

HiTamara

Thanks for your question. The Satellite Champions at our Regional Forecasting Centres (Sydney, Brisbane, Darwin, Perth etc.) are generally not Trainers and they do not perform teaching duties at their Regional Forecasting Centres.

The Satellite Champions are generally Weather Forecasters engaged in shift-work at their Regional Forecasting Centres. These staff have a particular interest in and enthusiasm for Satellite Meteorology. They may express this in the following ways:

They enjoy creating new templates displaying satellite data in meaningful ways in combination with relevant observational data and NWP. They will do this if their shift is not so busy or during a "project shift".

They will send me emails of interesting current weather events, often with attached satellite image.

They will set up "wiki" pages on the internal web site explaining new satellite products and showing case studies.

These staff will sometimes present the findings of their work during one of our monthly Regional Focus Group meetings, however they are often happy for me to "represent" them. Of course I always give credit to their work and this encourages them.

Because these Champions are shiftworkers, we have found it useful to have at least two Champions in each of our Regional Forecasting Centres. This permits greater continuity of communication pertaining to satellite matters.

I usually try to "cultivate" future Satellite Champions from amongst our Trainee Forecasters at the Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre (BMTC). One way to do this is to involve the students in some "cutting edge" work pertaining to new satellite products as part of the assessment in the Advanced Satellite Meteorology subject that I teach at BMTC. This year the students participated in the evaluation of the GEOCAT Fog/low stratus Derived Product for a number of Australian and southeast Asian case studies that I had created for them. As a consequence the students are now part of the "GEOCAT Fog/low stratus Derived Product Development Team" and I include them in my ongoing correspondences pertaining to the product. I hope that by creating this sense of "Project Ownership" amongst the students, a number of them will be enthusiastic in joining the ranks of the Satellite Champions after graduation.

In reply to Bodo Zeschke

by Tamara Gnjidic Vuksa -

Thank you for the answer, Bodo! The Champions are a great concept and I like it a lot.

Cheers,

Tamara

In reply to Bodo Zeschke

by Amos Asalu -

Dear Bodo

I have not been able to access your recordings whenever I try. Could you please help?

Amos

In reply to Amos Asalu

by Vesa Nietosvaara -

Thank you very much for locating this error affecting the Himawari topics 1 and 2, Amos. We are working on it, and will get back when the the files are available again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

by Vesa Nietosvaara -

Dear all,

the Himawari recordings for each topic are available again.

Thank you for your patience.

Vesa

In reply to Bodo Zeschke

by Amos Asalu -

Hi Bodo,

This time I was able to access your Presentation 3. I would like to congratulate on your presenatition which is impacting training. It is real CBT! You are able to involve many people  students, champions and stakeholders at the same time. Who are the champions? (trainers ?). How do you get your stakeholders?

Thank you.

Amos

In reply to Amos Asalu

by Bodo Zeschke -

Thank you Tamara, Vesa, Ivan and Amos for your contribution to the Himawari-8 Training Forum.

I have just come back from a week's vacation, visiting my mum in the beautiful Southern Highlands of New South Wales. I have attached a picture collage below.

Thanks to Ivan and Vesa for sorting out the issue with the links pertaining to Presentation 3.

In response to Tamara's comments - the idea of "Satellite Champions" originates from EUMETSAT and I adopted this after attending the WMO-EUMETSAT RGB Satellite Products Workshop in 2012. A great example of international collaboration at Conference. The collaboration with our Satellite Champions is now "two way". Indeed I have received a number of emails from Satellite Champions, pertaining to Himawari-8 matters whilst I have been on leave recently. I will need to respond to these soon.

In response to Amos question regarding "how do we get the stakeholders for our training?" Firstly we already have a lot of interested people within our Australian Bureau of Meteorology. These include Operational Forecasters, Trainee Forecasters etc. It is then a case of advertising the training to these staff and I use personal visits to Regional Forecasting Centres, email, telephone, Regional Focus Group meeting advertising etc. to do this. Overseas stakeholders already exist as these have been attending the annual "Science Week" training and other events such as AOMSUC-4. In the course of advertising the Regional Focus Group meetings we have gained more and more overseas attendees and we add these to the posting list when advertising future training sessions.

To answer Amos's question "who are the Champions?" - Satellite Champions are generally Weather Forecasters engaged in shift-work at their Regional Forecasting Centres. These staff have a particular interest in and enthusiasm for Satellite Meteorology. The Satellite Champions are generally not Trainers and they do not perform teaching duties at their Regional Forecasting Centres.

Attachment AugustHolidayCollage2016BZs.JPG