Online Meeting to close the session

Online Meeting to close the session

por Bodo Zeschke -
Número de respostas: 9

An online meeting incorporating some of the training methods discussed during my presentations will be held on Tuesday the 6th September from 02 to 03UTC. The presentation will include a brief Weather and Forecast discussion and also the application of a Himawari-8 product.

The Webinar Online Conferencing Software will be used and you can register by using the link https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8208239507426070019

For those who cannot attend the session "live" the online sessions will be recorded and made available on the CALMet Online 2016 Web site afterwards.

Em resposta a 'Bodo Zeschke'

Re: Online Meeting to close the session

por Ivan Smiljanic -

Thank you Bodo for notification. Perhaps I am not so great enthusiast as you are, thus will skip the live session in the middle of the night. I would rather see the recording, so please let us know one you upload it to the page.

Thank you in advance and good luck!

P.S. Very interesting talk today here at EUMETSAT from your colleague Dr. Anthony Rea, about the things you do there. I heard also about the Curing index (I am not sure if I wrote it well?), something connected to favorable environment for fires, retrieved from the satellite data - do you by chance have more info on it? Thanks again.

por Roro Yuliana Purwanti -

Hi Bodo

Thank you and congratulations!

The online session run effectively with great participation of the attendees. Even I am a non-meteorologist and could only attend using my mobile phone, but with my minimalist attendance, I enjoyed the session very much. The material delivered clearly, animations run smoothly, the activities were interesting and the participants were engaged. You covered two topics with many activities, but it was not make people feel overwhelmed....

It will be interesting if you can share with us "behind the scene" besides the recordings you will make.. What and how to prepare, what you tips of DOs and DON'Ts, how you manage the session so it run effectively..

Thanks Bodo for the interesting session..

Roro

PS : I attached what it looked like from mobile. Nice to see how participants engaged with the activities...the screen was full with their answers :-)

(Edited by Vesa Nietosvaara - original submission Tuesday, 6 September 2016, 9:05 AM)

Anexo RFG_in_mobile.jpg
Anexo Screenshot_2016-09-06-09-29-01-participants engagement.jpg

por Asteria Handayani -

Dear Bodo,

Yesterday me and three colleagues attended your RFG session through my computer. We really enjoyed it! Especially when you challenged us to identify different features from IR channel satellite imagery and gradient winds. We learned a lot from your clear explanation.

Thank you, Bodo  :-)

cheers,

Tya

Em resposta a 'Asteria Handayani'

por Bodo Zeschke -

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback Roro and Asteria (Tya). I was quite busy in preparing the session, particularly because it included a Weather and Forecast Discussion. This required me to download the latest data on the morning prior to the session. However the enthusiastic feedback by the audience during the interactive sessions and the very busy chatbox action envigorated me. I felt full of energy after the session :-)

Altogether there were 40 "computer terminals" active during the session. I recognise the fact that there may have been multiple participants sharing a terminal at some locations. Participants were from Australia, Indonesia, Japan, China and Singapore. The average "Interest Rating" as obtained from the Webinar Attendee Report for the 40 computer terminals was 89 percent.

The CALMET component included incorporating the four types of audience interaction (A, B, C and D) as discussed during my CALMET 2016 Topic 1 into the Weather and Forecast Discussion. At the conclusion of the Weather and Forecast discussion the attendees were asked to vote on their favourite method of audience interaction and I have attached the result in the attachment below.

As you can see, interactions B, C and D were more popular than interaction A. Example A poses a very "open" type of question, with the least "cues" and "guidance" given.

Some feedback from audience members as forwarded in the chatbox included: "C was easier to interpret", "we preferred D because many wind names that we did not know about were introduced", "example D because it shows low-level and upper-level difference". It appears that some of the attendees based their feedback on the "meteorological content" of the example given rather on the "interactiveness" of the method used. This in spite of the fact that I specifically asked attendees to judge what method of interaction they preferred. Maybe this was misunderstood by some members of the audience, maybe due to language difficulties.

Towards the end of my online presentation I summarised "things to look out for when conducting a session" as per the slide "Summary - some lessons learned" as discussed during Topic 1.

For those CALMET attendees who could not attend, the recording of the session will be posted soon. I will let you know.

Bodo 

Anexo CALMETonlinesessionAudienceFeedbackS.JPG

por Amos Asalu -

HI Bodo

Thanks for the well designed interactive presentation! It is flexible(optional), evaluative at the sametime assessing (all egs), the questions to be answered test ones level of understanding of the topic. I liked the qn asked in eg A.Such competences when learnt  well are useful in the initerpretation of satellite imageries. Your know interpretation of atmospheric satellite imageries is quite challenging to forecasters later on ground truthing. This training tries to accommodate this!  I thank you for the work well done! I am sorry I missed the live session.

Amos

Em resposta a 'Amos Asalu'

por Bodo Zeschke -

Thanks for your positive and detailed feedback Amos.

Like many teachers I always try to do my best to increase interaction and enthusiasm amongst my students / audience when I am teaching. At the same time I try to utilise the interaction sessions to gauge the learning uptake by the participants.

Ironically, amongst my best teachers in the past have been the University Lecturers who could not teach at all. You know the type - the long serving University staff member who would scribble mathematical formulas on the board from lectures that have remained unchanged for many a year. Clearly these lecturers were happier doing their research and the teaching was a necessary and apparently onerous aspect of their job. As a student I remember the boredom of attending such lectures and I vowed that I would never subject my students to this suffering, if I ever became a teacher in future. So now I always try to put myself into the position of the student when I am rehearsing my presentations. After each presentation I review the session in my mind. How successful was the presentation? How was the engagement of the students / attendees? I incorporate this reflection into future training sessions.

Coming from a university background I have recently been enlightened by a quote that was fowarded to my by a co-worker. The quote is from Neil Stuart et al, December 2007 edition of BAMS and titled "Maintaining the Role of Humans in the Forecast Process". The quote is as follows:

"Educational research suggests that students are typically goal-seeking learners, requiring concrete examples, case studies, and applications of theory. In contrast, professors are knowledge-seeking learners, preferring to understand the theory before applying it to experiences. This conflict between student and teacher learning styles leads to suboptimal learning"

There is also an element of selfishness in my teaching. Because when the students are enthusiastic during a presentation that you are conducting, then they radiate happiness and you can share in that. I believe this happiness is magnified by the number of engaged students / attendees and so it is easy to achieve a state of "euphoria". The alternative is being subjected to the magnified negative radiations from a classroom of unengaged attendees and this is too awful for me to contemplate. So maybe there is also a little "fear factor" involved when I am preparing and conducting presentations....

por Ivan Smiljanic -

Hi Bodo,

I must say I am not completely sure that I understood you last thought, but anyway, it prompted me to be honest as well about one thing. And I think it repeats in many different places/lectures. And maybe we are talking about the same thing, because it concerns me being selfish in front of the enthusiastic students sometimes.

Well, sometimes, students do get very enthusiastic about certain topic and they start to develop the story in their own pace and direction. Which is good, and it means that they want to discover something and understand it completely, right there, on the spot... On the other hand, I have my syllabus, and my slides, and my line of though, already prepared and envisioned and sometimes I fall into trap to negotiate the middle path. Or even to continue my 'predefined' talk, leaving the 'already burning' discussion for later (and 'later' might as well never happen).

Sometimes it is very hard to do a trade-off and sacrifice you syllabus (due to the wider/course syllabus which forces you to go through a certain topics), but we need to be aware that these 'burning discussions' are the time where learners take the most out of it. I guess sometimes it is better to remember one thing then not to remember everything (if you follow me).

Nice day to All,

Ivan

ps. I really like to quote, sounds like a case, unfortunately

Em resposta a 'Ivan Smiljanic'

por Bodo Zeschke -

Thanks for your email, Ivan. I think you have touched upon a very interesting aspect of the teaching. Firstly there is the prepared syllabus of the teacher, and then there are the "burning discussions" instigated by the enthusiastic students.

I try to balance the two in the following manner. Firstly, I divide my training into episodes. During some of these episodes I present the syllabus and during other episodes there is greater scope for student participation, including questions. For example, I normally devote the first 10 minutes of a lecture to introducing the topic. Then  there is a student exercise where this material is applied in the context of a short example. The students work on this for 5-10 minutes. I normally encourage students to pair up and work through the example in collaboration. Then there is 5 minutes for discussion. Then I present the main part of the lecture for about 10-15 minutes. At the conclusion of this there is an example that the students can work through and 10-15 minutes is devoted to this. Lastly there is a summary session of about 5 minutes.

If I organise my session well then I can even have 2-4 "student interaction sessions" within the one hour. During the interaction sessions there is usually a bit of time to discuss aspects of the subject that are of particular interest to the students.

Any questions that I do not have time to answer are noted down. I can cover these in more detail with the students during the tutorial sessions if the questions are related directly to the syllabus. Sometimes the questions are "homework" for me and I offer the reply at the start of the next lecture. If the questions do not so directly relate to the syllabus then I can forward information by "group email" to the students. Of course I am always happy to talk to students directly after the lecture, regarding any "burning questions".

Interestingly enough, with this style of "interactive lecture", the difference between lecture and tutorial session becomes less distinct. I think this permits better continuity of learning because students are encouraged to interact both during lecture and tutorial sessions. Of course with this style of lecture I have to be very strict about the amount of slides that I show during the alotted one hour. I start becoming very nervous if there are more than 30 slides in the presentation. Then I have to get out the big "slide razor" and cut out any slides that are not absolutely essential. I can still give the students 40 slides in their "handouts". In addition to the presentation slides the handout slides may include 10-15 "information slides" that form a part of my spoken presentation but that are not shown during the lecture. These "information slides" are useful when the students are studying for their exam. They are also useful for "future reference".

por Bodo Zeschke -

The recordings of the online session conducted during the Australian VLab Centre of Excellence Regional Focus Group meeting of the 6th September have now been posted on the CALMET-2016 web page at https://classroom.eumetsat.int/course/view.php?id=259

For ease of listenting the total session has been divided into two parts. Part 1 involves the application of the four types of audience interaction as outlined in Topic 1 of my CALMET-2016 presentations. These interaction exercises are incorporated within a Weather and Forecast discussion.

Part 2 introduces recent work conducted at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology in adapting the Cloud Phase RGB product to the Visual Weather data visualisation software and applying this to an Australian case study. A number of audience participation exercises are included here.

At the conclusion of the presentation a short summary "Some lessons learned from the remote training" is presented.

As always, I am very keen to receive comments and feedback from CALMET-2016 attendees.