Online Experimentation Explained

Online Experimentation Explained

by Vesa Nietosvaara -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, Alexey, Vladimir, Edward and Ricardo,

thanks for your easy to read material on online experimentation. I was just checking Alexeys PDF and liked the way how you diescribe the evolution from bigt size to small personalised size, both in computers and in weather stations.

Acouple of weeks ago I had a chance to quickly meet some folks from UCAR - they are doing something interesting on 3D printed weather stations for the developing countries. Here's the link to the story. It seems to be connected with what Alexey was telling in his presentation.

Vesa

In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

Re: Online Experimentation Explained

by Amos Asalu -

Hi Vesa

I have looked at the online experimentation. It looks good for training i.e. student centred, however, for successful learning I think one needs to have a good background on electronics, is this so?

Amos

In reply to Amos Asalu

by Vesa Nietosvaara -

Hi, Amos,

indeed this example on online experimentation is from the electronics and physics world. If the hydro-meteorological training institutes will apply similar remote labs in the future for their courses and for theior staff/students, the lab setting will look different.

Would be nice to know if anyone is running, say, a meteorological instrumentation course utilizing a remote laboratory facility.

Vesa

In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

by Vladimir Chukin -

Dear Colleagues,

Our laboratory creates a learning city layout (something like http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/) for distance learning. The layout will be made in two versions. The first one consists of houses, roads, trains, parks, factories, agricultural fields, weather sensors and natural phenomena (the diurnal variation of illumination, fog, wind, etc.). Students will be able to remotely manage the natural phenomena and use weather sensors and webcams to estimate the weather effect on city management, transport, energetics, agriculture, etc. The second version will be an exact copy of the first one but in the virtual reality (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality). Both versions will be available for students via the Internet.

Best regards,
Vladimir