Two sessions conduct in the week of 10 - 14 October 2016

Two sessions conduct in the week of 10 - 14 October 2016

by Roro Yuliana Purwanti -
Number of replies: 5

Dear CALMeters,

We just experienced a nice week with interesting topic where online experimentation becomes promising to be implemented in training arena. Deeply thanks to Edward Podgaiskiy, Vladimir Chukin, Alexey Nemnov and Ricardo Costa who brought us some fresh innovative ideas in instrumentation related field. We believe that participants of the webinar session enjoyed our tour in the remote laboratory last Tuesday. For participants who did not have any change to attend, the resources are remained available eventhough the session is coming to an end. 

Now, with over 140 participants enrolled (welcome new participants! We are happy to have you are here..), CALMet Online soon moves to the next sessions. This special week will have two sessions conducted concurrently: 

Brendan Kilshaw (UK Met Office), Jodie Ramsdale (UK Met Office), Ian Mills (EUMETSAT) will be our facilitators for the session of Meteorology Simulation. They will have some activities, including a webinar session with a demo on Meteorology Simulator. 

In the same week, Alessandro Chiariello (Eumetcal) and Lisa Haga (Eumetcal) will welcome us to Eumetcal Workshop session and provide us with access to workshop resources on developing communication capabilities for meteorological and climate services.  

Detail information about the two sessions will be shared by facilitator teams soon. 

Have a great weekend  ahead, everyone!

-Roro and Vesa-
In reply to Roro Yuliana Purwanti

Re: Two sessions conducts in the week of 10 - 14 October 2016

by Alessandro Chiariello -

Dear CALMet Onliners,

it is a pleasure to welcome you to the this CALMet online week connected to the XI Eumetcal workshop, which starts on Monday 10 October till Thursday 13 Oct, in Langen, Germany. 

BACKGROUND: the objective of Eumetcal workshop this year is to provide trainers of NHMSs  with a framework to explore ways the training community can assist the NHMSs to address the aspect of communication, particularly with customers and end-users. Changes in communication are and will be triggered by different drivers: for instance the shift of focus  towards impact-based forecasting, WMO Competency Frameworks, different end-user requirements, etc. Since these changes will reflect on the skills of meteorological staff, thus producing training needs, the intervention of the training community is required.

WHAT WE EXPECT FROM CALMETERS: since you have access to the XI Eumetcal Workshop page from within the CALMet Online page, you can:

• get familiar with the workshop concept, program and presentations, which will be posted in the page as soon as interventions are given. 
  • actively participate in the forum discussion connected to the recorded talk given by G. Fleming (Met Éireann) about Impact-based forecasting and implications on meteorologist's skill development. 
  • Also share any comment to the XI Eumetcal workshop through twitter by using the hash-tag #eumetcal16 (you can see them at https://twitter.com/search?q=eumetcal16&src=typd)

Looking forward to seeing you actively contribute to this Eumetcal Workshop and establish a connection between the two communities: CALMet and Eumetcal!

Alessandro and Lisa

P.S.: A technical detail. When you enter the XI Eumetcal Workshop page through the plugin, yo will "land" to the front page, where mainly background information about the workshop. In order to access the Forum Discussion and presentation material, browse down till you see the link "Next Session - Workshop Activities" and click on it (see screenshot below).

XI Eumetcal Ws page - sceenshot

In reply to Alessandro Chiariello

by Larisa Nikitina -

HI Alessandro!

Did i get right that I can comment the XI Eumetcal forum at any time?

I have found that I can read it but cant comment there, even after the logging the Eumetcal page :(

Seems this new Met Learning page does not remember my participation at prevoius courses too, i mean previous Clamets and Eumetcals.

Does anybody ( not Eumetcal XI participants) have same problems? What i am doing wrong?

warm regards,
Larisa
In reply to Larisa Nikitina

by Larisa Nikitina -

ok, now i can comment, do not know what was changed? :)

anyway it works, thanks :))

Re: Two sessions conduct in the week of 10 - 14 October 2016

by Brendan Kilshaw -

Dear all,

We are excited to be contributing to the CALMet facilitation this week and welcome you to participate in our session on the Meteorology Simulator plug-in.

The Meteorology Simulator plug-in is a Moodle Activity module which can be installed on your Moodle to allow you to build simulator case studies from within your Moodle course.

Our live session will take place on Thursday 13th October at 09:00 UTC when we will present the background behind the plug-in and show how it can be used. We welcome any questions during the webinar and of course in the discussion forum, before or after the webinar.

Join WebEx meeting

https://metoffice.webex.com/metoffice/j.php?MTID=m36aae865fae21780da3898bf2edf70c9

Meeting number (access code): 844 632 914      

Meeting password:        WZbqjamB       

Date: Thursday, 13 October 2016

Time: 09:00 UTC to 10:00 UTC

Join by phone 
+44-203-478-5289 UK - Toll 
Global call-in numbers 

Can't join the meeting? 

https://help.webex.com/docs/DOC-5412

Join WebEx meeting

Re: Two sessions conduct in the week of 10 - 14 October 2016

by Alessandro Chiariello -

Dear, all,

thank you very much for participating in this sessionof CALMet Online connected to the XI Eumetcal Workshop.

The idea was to have you exposed to the topics and content of the workshop, and also participate in the forum discussion about ideas produced by G. Fleming's (Met Éireann) and F. Radjab (BKMG) recorded talks. Many of you did browse the XI Eumetcal workshop page and added comments in the forum discussion: that was great! 

The Eumetcal workshop ended yesterday Thursday 13 October. As you recall the main topic was communication, specifically what training shall be developed to assist NHMSs in developing skills of their meteorologists to improve the communication with customer and end-users. 

After the intensive workshop I would summarize to you the following two main messages from the training community:

• Training to improve communication and advisory skills of meteorologists is needed and shall be developed, taking advantages of:
    • what has been already developed by some NHMS
    • multidisciplinary approach, thus support from subject experts in communication
  • Trainers shall be aware of the strategic direction developed by the management and communicate with the management which kind of communication is contemplated in the organizational vision

Thank you for everything!

Alessandro