. . . they provide a democratic venue.

. . . they provide a democratic venue.

por Pat Parrish -
Número de respostas: 8
In an online discussion forum, we are all words on the page. Our looks don't matter (we can wear our pajamas, if we like, to a discussion forum). We can take as long as we need to compose our thoughts, even using Google Translate and a dictionary if we need it. No one speaks louder than the other. No one can interrupt when we have something to say. Some may post more messages, but that doesn't mean they are read more or that they are the best postings. Discussion forums truly honor the tradition of the symposium, where equals meet to discuss things of interest in a relaxed way.
Em resposta à Pat Parrish

Re: . . . they provide a democratic venue.

por Vesa Nietosvaara -
Good points, Pat!

Hummm... its easier to find negative aspects. But at least it's fun to see a lot of email copies of this discussion forum in the morning when waking up. And it is also nice way of keeping communication alive across time zones (it works also with emails, but at least I feel less forced to respond immediately to a forum posting in my evening free time than I feel to respond to an incoming email).

I think one good point in Discussion Forums is that once you really get going, you will later have the overview of the discussion nicely in one thread / one page, instead of having to crawl through your overfilled mailbox.
Em resposta à Vesa Nietosvaara

por Pat Parrish -
Yep. Preserving the discussion in the thread can be both positive and negative, though. Will I regret what I post sometime later? Are spoken words more ephemeral and therefore more easily forgotten if they are chosen poorly. What a dilemma!
Em resposta à Pat Parrish

por jose prieto -

Pat's concern is justified. Whatever we type now will be in Google next week.. That is not the case with emails, I wish to believe.

But let us be positive on fora: excellent asynchronous tool to help each other and share experience, e.g., with a new tool or model. Not ideal for leaders or those liking things done, rather useful for the more quiet or analyst minds, without an urgency to decide.

Conversely, potentially a good way for managers to collect ideas... and a danger from other perspective.

It would be interesting to create a table (can we load it up to fora?) comparing group e-mail and forums.

Em resposta à jose prieto

por Vesa Nietosvaara -
Definitely true - I get scared every time when my 10 year old postings in UK weather discussion room still pop up in Google. The creator of the discussion group should ensure and convince the participants, that the discussion is kept inside course page (such as this page), and that the discussions will be wiped off before eventually opening the course page for guest access, after the event is over. (Which reminds me to do this right now for some of the old courses I have run in the past, ouch).

por Pat Parrish -
Great suggestion, Jose. I've posted a Wiki in which we can do a table of comparisons between discussion forums and email. If we run out of room, we'll just add columns.

por Luciane Veeck -
I must disagree with Jose’s point on “not ideal for leaders or those liking things done”. I believe discussion forums are as good (or bad) as group emails on that.

A good example of how effective a forum can be setting up actions is right here - the suggestion of creating a table to compare group e-mails and forums. It was done! A Wiki was created in response of that.

In my opinion, the response to a suggested action depends much more on how many “relevant people” are receiving the group e-mail or subscribed to the particular forum, than the kind of method used (e-mail or forum). People are usually very aware of professional peer review.