Story telling

Story telling

por Anni Simola -
Número de respostas: 2
There were numerous extremely useful and practical points in the material and the presentation. Thank you so much! Just a short note I made: I've been aware of the power of narratives - or stories- for a while, and this was a well reasoned reminder of it. Personally, however, I find it really hard to use them when having any presentation. In writing, yes, a bit more comfortable. So why not using written (short) stories to promote the on-line discussions? Or encourage the other forum participants to actually make their points as stories?

Meteorology is full of great stories - say, the ash clouds.
Em resposta a 'Anni Simola'

Re: Story telling

por Pat Parrish -
I believe you are so right, Anni. You reminded me of a short short story I wrote over 8 years ago as part of "4 Parables of Technological Change." Even though it is a bit old, it is close enough to our topic to share.

Link to the short short story, Tomorrow.

Would anyone else be interested in writing a true, humorous, or horror story about online learning to share with us? The wheels are spinning...
Em resposta a 'Anni Simola'

Re: Story telling

por Vesa Nietosvaara -
Anni, this reminds me of one seminar I attended a few years ago. We had an audience who seemed to be somewhat distracted when the presenters were showing graphs and equations, or when they were requested to take part in "scientific" discussion.

One of the instructors saw they were lacking the interest, so she decided to try another approach the next day. And she started her tornado lecture , not startgin with the usual 500 hPa/CAPE/ingredients-based jargon, but said: "I will tell you a story". And she told them a story of a family who lost their house because of the tornado.

It worked - even I stopped checking my mobile and paid attention!