The importance of "setting up norms"

The importance of "setting up norms"

by Luciane Veeck -
Number of replies: 5
There is a very important point in “setting up” discussion forums that was briefly mentioned in the article “Roles for Instructors in Online Discussion Forums”. The point I am referring to is: “Setting Norms: Establishing expectations about rules for discussion forum behaviour “.
I find this extremely important to consider, as if not well established at the beginning, it can put some participants completely off forums.

In online learning and teaching, the lack of a “brick environment” for class discussion with fellow students and all the chat that gets going in the corridors on our way to the canteen makes the whole experience quite different. It is understandable (and desirable) that discussion forums also serve as a means of social contact between students. The problem is that, if this is mixed up with course discussions, it will most certainly put some students off using forums.

A good idea is setting up separate “chat” end “course topics” forums, and have that well explained at the beginning of the course.
In the same way, if the course involves assessable work to be done individually, the extent of help asked/given by fellow students and tutors regarding the assignments must be very clear from the start. This usually avoids unsuitable expectations and incorrect interpretation of "supported learning".
In reply to Luciane Veeck

Re: The importance of "setting up norms"

by Pat Parrish -
I think I will take this opportunity to add a forum for social sharing on topics outside the focused forums themselves. After hearing from Luciane, I realize I should have done this from the start. Does anyone have any other good suggestions for course modifications for the last week?

by Vesa Nietosvaara -
Lu,

I think you have a valuable point here - I would like to further make a comment on informal and formal parts of discussion forums, from the viewpoint of participant:

the "formal" course web sites with Discussion forums do feel often a bit official - that already makes many of us thinkg whether I should submit anything, am in high level enough to put something on the training institution web site?

This is one reason our programme opened also a page on Facebook, not because it's a fancy thing to do, but to open another arena for the informal "corridor chat", in which everybody feel on the same level and allows people to send even tiny comments and messages.

Your suggestion to have a separate area for such an informal discussion is good - have you seen them to be more active than the actual discussion areas on your courses?
In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

by Luciane Veeck -
Oh yes...
The "informal" discussion forum has about double the number of messages than the other!
The trouble for us is to keep up with moderating it. The OU has very restrict rules, so we must remove any message containing personal info (e.g. contact details, photos, age,..) and they do pop up sometimes, because people are used to pass this kind of info on when chatting via any other means.

by Anni Simola -
It seems to me, after reading through these comments + Vesa's comment about the opening activities, that creating some cohesion among the group of student is the main issue. Or, on the other hand, meeting the need for cohesion.

And if learning is social by nature, referring to Pat's article, then the teacher or course facilitator really needs to take a role in making the students feel connected. To enhance learning, I mean. Does this make sense to anybody else?
In reply to Anni Simola

by Luciane Veeck -
I absolutely agree with you Anni. The teacher/course facilitator plays a very important role - making the students feel they are part of a group which share this specific objective of learning the course - There is a huge difference between distance learning and learning on your own. In my opinion, getting actively involved in course related discussions is one of the learning skills that will greatly contribute to mature a student and make him(her) an independent learner.