competency assessment

competency assessment

by denisa urlea -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone!

As a aeronautical met-forecaster in ROMATSA I am directly interested in the topic that Paul presented. So, to me it is a good idea to have a tool that quantifies competence. It is not a bad ideea to have a unique-european standard to get to.

And I think it is a great idea to introduce in our training EUMETCAL and COMET tools and methods. Some of them could be easily adapted to our needs and as you said, it could be extremely useful.

As about the traceability that you mentioned it I think there is not a problem as long we have lots of exams every two years! You only have to acces database of AACR!

In reply to denisa urlea

Re: competency assessment

by Paul Bugeac -

Hi Denisa!

Glad you could join...

Regarding the traceability, it refers not only to the marks of the CAA's assessment, it deals actually to a whole image of every meteorologist, the evaluation forms for each student during the training, the results of examinations, etc... It is very important to have a file with strenghts and weaknesses to know exactly what has to be developed, where to go a litlle in depth.

If you really want, after I come back from my vacation I'll show you your personal file :))

By the way, I forgot to mention that we also use full recordings of all training and courses outsite the field of meteorology... This deals also with some psychological approach.

Have a beautiful week-end all!!

Paul

In reply to Paul Bugeac

by Vesa Nietosvaara -
Paul, Denise,

I am interested to know how much of meteorologist's individual competency profile is revealed to CAA authorities... do they only get a summary file stating "Meteorologist NN is competent to do aviation meteorologist job, and has passed the exams." or do they get more detailed information about each individual performance??
In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

by Paul Bugeac -

Hi Vesa, Denisa

The individual file regarding the AMP contains a lot of information, that we consider confidential so it isn't made available to anybody outside ROMATSA. The file contains all the continuous assessments during the trainings, final results, OJT evaluations, all certificates the AMP has (not only connected to the job!), and, of course, the results of the CAA examination.

Using all this information we have a full profile of the AMP, containing the strenghts and weaknesses in operational job, but also complementary skills that might be useful in the job.

If we take into account only the job skills part of the file, it gives the full image of the progress of the AMP, the training needs, and also the effect of the continuous training.