4. Technology works - when to use it?

4. Technology works - when to use it?

by Vesa Nietosvaara -
Number of replies: 11

webconf

In this final discussion thread we ask everyone to give examples when a synchronous (Real-time, Live , you name it!) meeting is needed, and for what purposes it is better than an asynchronous (give it a better name) event.

Some statistics! By Thursday 11 October 14 UTC we have had 32 participants viewing the discussion through CALMet page, and 20 participants have posted something. Thanks for everyone participated so far! We warmly welcome new ideas from new participants. You can write in any language, we have lots of translation power in this group. :)

In reply to Vesa Nietosvaara

Re: 4. Technology works - when to use it?

by Claudia Campetella -

This is my first post in the forum. My language is  spanish, so apologize for the style of my english (Vesa, I prefer to try to write in english, please let me know if you can't understand!)

I tried to follow the discussions in the forum  during the week, but as Maja wrote, I have had a very busy week..... and now sunday night I decided that now is time to participate!

I don't have yet many experience in online learning. So, I am
learning a lot through the comments of all the participants. 

I have participated in few synchronic sessions, and I agree that language and "geographical dispersion" is a problem. But, thinking in training activities, I think that perhaps the most effective way will be one that combines asyn and synchronic sessions. The former will be usefull for the introduction of the themes and gives time for the students to read and understand concepts. The synchronic  session will be necessary for an interaction between trainees and teacher or presenter.
This also will be more effective for traninig in the mother language of the participants and also near the same meridian!!

Regards for all of you, chau
Claudia

In reply to Claudia Campetella

by Vesa Nietosvaara -

Hi, Claudia and all,

thanks for starting the new week with your posting! I agree that its often useful to use both approaches (sync and async) for an online event/course. For me the sync sessions have worked fine when I have a well established group of people (i.e. course enrolled students, project team members) , who are either obliged to take part or who know each other already.

I would like to comment something about challenges that were said about time zones and language problems:

Time zone differences can be tricky in global events. If USA, New Zealand and Germany are in same meeting, someone has to get up early or go to bed late! There is no way out. But recordings will help if someone cannot attend. And we need to remember that it is still much less tiresome to attend ata midnight in online session than to travel half the globe and 12 time zones as for example Roro Yuliana did last week..

Language problems on sync sessions have been always a problem: listening to a speaker in foreign language without being able to see his gestures and without being able to show with eyes "pardon me?" makes it even harder. And we as students are often very polite to interrupt a presenter who is just rushing forward very fast. In this situation we need a good moderator who is able to confirm that everybody can follow. Also supporting graphics and text in slides are very helpful when language is a problem. I would in fact encourage to use a bit more text in online slides or to send handouts before the sessions, just to make it easier for non-native speakers to participate. And finally, the hardest part for non-native speakers is to raise hand nd use the microphone! It can be very stressing - this is why a text chat feedback should always be available and allow enough time for typing the comments.

by Roro Yuliana Purwanti -
hi again everybody.. I do agree with Vesa. non-native speaker, (especially the one who are not fluently enough in the used language of a sync session), struggling time to time to follow the lecture. graphic and text in slides, handsout before session, yes it make the participants especially me, easier and put us to the more comfortable atmosphere before a session and therefore make us ready to join the lecture. also text communication (email and chat) during and after the session support us to gain the comprehensive understanding of the material.. take a lot of time and patient, absolutely. also the fully support from all people who facilitate the sync session. if in this comment an analogy is allowed, i can now see that the show team will be consisted by at least the 3 wonderful personnels: a moderator, a supporting technician and a presenter him/herself. while as the participant, we have prepared a handnotes in our hand, the google translater, dictionary.com (or my fave : sederet.com) is open in the screen. that will be the busy sync session definitely but worthed to have especially in some intersting and important topics that should be attended internationally.. a note i should share that better use text communication than let the microphone goes to non native participant in discussion part. It minimize the nervousity and let the moderator be easier to grab a point of the question and comfirm it to the participant. To express our emotions, still emoticons will work, beside the words "yes i got it. TQ" or "pardon me, still not get the point. can you repeat with the simple words". it is important to let the presenter and moderator know whether we understand or not.. please allow a personal experience of mine in learning the module in English. In the beginning, it was so difficult to me to understand and absorb the material of COMET module. I took 2-3 times longer time than its required to finish the module. until i found a tricky strategy to have 2 screens in my PC. one was the module and another was the printed version of the similar module. and...voila, the process of learning become more smoothly and enjoyable... :-) that trick also been used of me when played back KathyAnn's presentation.. but in the end, in my opinion, a homework still for non native speaker, to speed up their languages improvement, because i believe to be fluently in a language will bring benefit over all. and attend the session have improved my language eventhough to be fluent is still far away to go from here.. wish you all a happy and succesfull week ahead... cheers roro yuliana

by Mark Higgins -

I have really enjoyed this process so far (thank you to everyone who has posted and Maja and Vesa for hosting), and it has shown some of the strengths of working asynchronously.

I am getting curious ... 

I wonder if we ever really need synchronous tools?

Do we sometimes use these tools just because we have a lecture that we want to broadcast, as we do not have the time or knowledge to properly design for an online environment?

[I think my own view is that we do need the tools; but placing the question in such a provocative way helps me to question exactly when are they most useful.

I think they are most useful when they enable a dialogue to happen or to work on a specific topic with a group of people for a biounded period of time and a fixed problem

I wonder if there is any reserach on this - does anyone have a references?]

Warm wishes,

Mark

In reply to Mark Higgins

by Maja Kuna -

Thank you for questioning the topic further Mark.

I am sharing 4 pages extract from the "Synchronous e-Learning: How to design, produce, lead, and promote successful learning events, live and online" by By K.Hyder, A.Kwinn, R.Miazga, M.Murray (The eLearning Guild).

They divide needs for synchronous technology into learning  and business. I prefer to think about the first one, but definitely both aspects are important.

As for learning, what they say is to use synchronous for:

• Connecting dispersed learners
  • Real-time interaction and collaboration because it is immediate, engaging, natural (?), spontaneous, direct, social
  • Sense of immediacy and co-presence
  • Fostering a learning community
  • Balancing learning dynamics ("create a more egalitarian learning experience")
  • Unique functionality (whiteboard, application sharing, web tour)
  • Extending application demonstrations and Web safaris
  • ...more

You may discover more about learning and business cases in the chapter attached. I would still question some examples pointed out there, but anyway it is an interesting resource.

You may find a full book here:

http://www.elearningguild.com/pdf/4/synchbook.pdf

Enjoy reading!

Maja

In reply to Mark Higgins

by Patrick Parrish -

Hi Mark,

I scanned 2 studies that seemed to be right on target. Since they were over 1 mb (! pretty limited) I put them in a single doc on dropbox at 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69919809/online%20interaction%20studies.pdf

I have not read them all, but they are rather interesting in terms of non-intuitive conclusions. 

One reason I think for a synchronous session based on what people have said so far, they allow you to pay half attention and get other work done, whereas asynchronous sessions are more work. :)

Pat

In reply to Patrick Parrish

by Maja Kuna -

Thanks for sharing! Good idea to use dropbox. Just in case anybody else have good resources to post here, I increased the attachment size in this forum to 10 MB. Let me know if it is not enough.

Maja

by Patrick Parrish -

Thanks for upgrading the file capability, Maja.

I posted these rather quickly at the end of the day, and didn't provide much context. The papers can be found in the book, The Perfect Online Course, edited by Orellana, Hudgins, and Simonson.

Very generally, both studies showed that students valued flexibility and convenience most in online learning. The first study argued for approaches that allowed for varied degrees of interaction, and the second study showed that students felt their own self-study strategies were among the most important attributes of a successful course. The value of peer interaction was questioned in the first study, but not as much in the second.

As the first paper states it, "interaction is no panacea." While neither study explicitly compared synchronous versus asynchronous approaches, they both questioned the need to deliver DL with face-to-face courses as a model, which would suggest that asynchronous approaches are fully valid and perhaps even preferred by many.

I hope you take some time to look it over a bit. I wish they had included something on outcomes in the courses, but other studies have linked student perceptions of value with outcomes.

Pat

by Patrick Parrish -

I forgot to mention something important. These studies, like most studies you can find, were about college courses, not workplace learning, which is what we are practicing and experiencing. My suspcion though is that the conclusions would be similar for the most part. Maybe an even stronger bias toward desire for flexibility and convenience, and wide range of desires for interactivity.

I think someone should do some research about the perceptions of this conference at the end. Any volunteers to help design an evaluation?

Pat

by Maja Kuna -

Hi Patrick,

Thanks again for sharing this valuable resources.I will add it to the "Resource" section of our session.

Both articles refer to the online courses in a more generic way. As you can guess from the title, one focuses exclusively on interactions. Interactions here are understood by Battalio in a wider sense, as interventions of instructors but also a peer collaboration. He analysis a “collaborative group interaction” including technology, teachers and students. You managed to extract in your post an essence of both papers, however I would like to quote a few interesting points that grabbed my attention.

Interactions in a narrower sense

As we talk in this forum about synchronous e-learning it might be worth exploring interactions in a more specific sense, connected only to the synchronous-learning. Following this digression, I would like to propose you for reading a part of the book “The New Classroom” by Ruth Clark and Ann Kwinn (See the resource section for our session). The title of this chapter is “Make it Active: Planning Interactions in the New Virtual Classroom” and give some practical hints how to plan and embed  interactions into an online classroom.

No specific time and space

The point is that our mental model of the Internet does not envision a specific place and time, and does not have the physical restrictions associated with a traditional classroom

It brings me back again to an aspect of synchronous e-learning, contrasting with the statement above, which actually has a specific, real-time as an distinctive feature, as recapitulated here.

[Synchronous e-Learning. How to design, produce, lead, and promote successful learning events, live and online, p. 2]

e-teacher, e-tutor different and changing role

I like Battalio expression, which he takes from Volery, that a teacher should be a Learning catalyst helping students to “discover their own learning”. E-teacher has to cover different roles, needs to be sometimes a content, meta-cognition and/or process facilitator, advisor, assessor, technologist, resource provider, manager (administrator), designer, co-learner, researcher (Denis, 2004). A “learning catalyst” grabs some of aspects and puts them properly together. However what Battalio also highlights nowadays people need less technical facilitation, as "most of interfaces now function seamlessly" and that "issues related with technology faded into the background", even though "implementation of technology" and "connectivity speed" have not. It is worth to think about it when designing an online course.

Integrate work and learning

As you summarized nicely

“Very generally, both studies showed that students valued flexibility and convenience most in online learning.”

The reality is that the learning experience has to be "integrated into the learners daily schedules" (Battalio), it sounds even more true if we talk about learning professionals. Here is a lengthy quotation from one of my favourite sociologist Z. Bauman (and not because he is Polish...:)). Sorry for a clumsy translation from Italian (google translate can really speed up things!)

The ability to last long is not anymore consider a quality. Things and the bonds are assumed to be useful only for a "limited time" and are reduced in shreds and otherwise deleted when no longer needed. Thus, it 'necessary to avoid having goods, especially durable ones of which' hard to get rid of. Today's consumption does not affect the accumulation of things, but their extraordinary use. Why, then, "the Baggage of knowledge" built in the school banks, college, should be excluded from this universal law? This is the first challenge that pedagogy must support, in fact, a type of knowledge ready for immediate use and, subsequently, for its immediate elimination, such as that offered by software programs (more and more quickly updated and, therefore, replaced), is shows much more 'attractive than what is offered by a firm and structured education.”

[Zygmunt Bauman. Intervista sull’educazione. Sfide pedagogiche e modernita’ liquida by A. Porcheddu, 2005, p. 59]

Simplifying what Bauman repeats in his papers is that we need to be prepared to walk on a 'quicksand' and be able to handle changes immediately, and in this interview he focuses in particular on how the instruction should consider it as well. In order to support "a (need for) quick update", we need immediate and flexible tools.

In the resource section you can find a scan of this chapter, unfortunately only in Italian.

As Battalio says "Autonomous learners can identify their learning needs", but at the same time some students "need an reinforcement that comes from a meeting face-to-face". So it seems that there is still space for video/web-conferencing, which can partly accommodate this need?

Maja

In reply to Mark Higgins

by Elizabeth Page -

Hi Mark,

I can think of two examples where synchronous training was quite effective. I conducted teletraining sessions in 2003 to supplement online training modules related to aviation forecasting. We used case studies to demonstrate how concepts covered in the online training could be applied to real forecasting problems.

What I found very effective in these sessions was that more experienced forecasters shared their insights to the forecast problem. Also, less experienced forecasters could ask them questions and receive advice on how to handle particular situations and explanations of what potential impacts were on customers.

Another great use of synchronized training is to use it as an assessment opportunity. By creating more of a discussion session, you can judge how of the material/concepts you are trying to teach is actually understood by your audience.

Cheers,

Liz